Do Aspire Atlantis coils work with Pegasus TC?

Forgive the noob question.

I currently use a non-TC iStick with my Aspire Atlantis 2. It works well, but I want to get into temperature control.

I figured it might be wisest to just stick with Aspire and get the Pegasus TC.

I currently have Aspire Atlantis 0.5ohm coils. Will these work with TC? Will they work well?

When I google "aspire atlantis coils temp control" I get a lot of results of third-party companies that make Ti coils for the Atlantis 2. I don't know the difference in Ti, Ni, and whatever the official Atlantis coils are (stainless steel?).

Will the standard Atlantis 2 atomizer and coils straight from Aspire work with the TC mode on the Pegasus? Or do I have to get special coils?

Thanks for any help.
Comments
  • 3 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • OK. many will disagree, but my view is that TC is just another method of controlling the power applied to your coil. Aspire's Pegasus implements TC for both Ni200 and Ti coils. I choose not to use them as there are health concerns for both of these materials. I prefer Aspire's SS 316l coils for TC. These are sold as Triton coils, but also fit the Atlantis.

I would not buy the Pegasus to try TC. I'd get something that would let me use most materials used in coils. Another Pegasus limitation to consider is the single battery it uses. It will not last all day.

My favorite tanks are the original Aspire Triton, and newer Triton mini. I think Aspire's Clapton coils for these tanks have no equal for flavour or vapour production in today's market. I use the Pegasus to drive my Triton mini, and Smok's X-Cube II to drive my higher powered tanks. The Odyssey mini kit more than satisfies my wife's needs. If I were to buy another MOD it would be something that would drive anything in any mode. Think DNA 200. I can't justify it's purchase as the Pegasus and X-Cube II more than fulfill my needs.
  • edited March 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Thanks for the reply.

I'm pretty content on sticking with the Atlantis 2, just since it's worked well for me so far.

I thought that TC would allow for a more consistent vaping experience, but I've heard this varies, and I may be wrong about that if you're saying it's just another way to control power. I figured it held one temperature while adjusting the wattage for you.

Is there a box MOD you'd recommend for the Atlantis 2 with 0.5ohm coils?

On that note, why are so many TC MODs upwards of 200W? Aspire rates their 0.5ohm coil at 20-30W and the 0.3 coil at up to 70. I don't understand enough about why the different coils matter in the entirety of the experience, but it sounds like lower is hotter. It also seems like most places only sell the 0.5ohm Atlantis coil, so I assume that must be pretty standard. Why does anyone need 200W?

Can you fill me in on any of this?
  • 200 Watts are used for coils in RDAs. That power is also used to bring lower power rated coils up to temperature very quickly. It's also a marketing ploy. Bigger is better, right?

I wouldn't buy a MOD to drive the Atlantis 2 with 0.5ohm coils. I'd look for a MOD that will drive any tank/coil on the market. I might spend a few more dollars, but it would meet my needs for a longer period of time. I'd want two or three replaceable batteries, and both TC and wattage control. There are many MODs on the market that will fit these requirements. Go to the ECF to find rants and raves for all of them. Go to a local B&M and try the fit in your hand once you've found a few that may work for you. Have a look at the menu system and controls. Some are easier to use than others.

Temperature control is just another method of controlling the power applied to the coil. Rather than directly specifying the power, you specify the material in the coil, and the temperature you want to raise it to. The MOD then computes the power required and applies it to the coil. While firing the MOD monitors the resistance of the coil and adjusts the power to to maintain it at the level it has computed. This works very well for coil materials where the resistance varies greatly with temperature such as Ni200. It doesn't work well for materials such as Kanthal where the resistance doesn't vary much with temperature.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire