pegasus lowering voltage as battery discharges, not good hits

Hi,

My Pegasus is lowering its voltage as the battery discharges, resulting in weaker hits. I thought regulated mods were suppose to give you a fully charged hit until a certain point and the low battery protection cuts it off.

I'll be at 4.2 volts on a fully charged Sony and about mid way down it jumps from 4. Something rapidly to 3.5. Is this a safety feature? If so then I may as well get a mechanical mod...but I want the Pegasus :(. Please help!

I haven't bought a new mod for quite some time but my old ipv mini 2 doesn't do this. Is this just a super noob question nowadays maybe?
Comments
  • 21 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Mikeysauce There is no 18650 battery in existence that will let you vape at 70W all day on a single cell, no matter what MOD you use. The Pegasus with its charging stand and a good battery is a decent setup, even at 70W for home or office use. Just keep it in the charging stand to keep it loaded. On the road, you'd need a battery magazine to keep you going all day.

If you use a two or three battery MOD, you can get more of the mAh from each of the batteries as the load is split between them. You'd still need to carry a spare set of batteries to get through the day at over 50W with two, or about 80W with three batteries.

Some MODs will let you take a battery below 3.2V. These will let you use more mAh from the charge. The cost is a shorter battery life.

Cloud chasing is power intensive, and one needs plenty of batteries to indulge in it.
  • @Kyle.n10
    We have a resident battery and electronics guru on the forum by the name of @Old_Salt who is better versed to answer your inquiry.
  • @Kyle.n10 You may not have a genuine Sony, a bad battery, or you may have a low drain model. What model of battery is it? How old is the battery?

What coil are you using, and what power level are you firing them at? How many puffs do you get before this happens? How long do you puff on average? All of these determine how long you can go between recharges.

Your battery starts at 4.0 volts, but it seems like it is heating up rapidly. The heat causes the internal resistance to rise, the voltage to drop, and one of the protections kicks in dropping the power to the coil.
  • Oh boy okay here it goes, really appreciate the help!

SONY US18650VTC4 2100mAh 30A IMR HighDrain Rechargeable Battery

There brand new, just got em in the mail yesterday, I also used an oldish Samsung 25r for a little bit and these super old LG's but that was very briefly

I used my triton with a .5 Clapton and now using my Cleito with the .4. I always keep both at 40 watts, I like extending coil and battery life for as long as possible. As for how many puffs until it happens in not sure, but it seems to start dropping once the battery is about a little lower than 1/4 discharged. Today I used my Sony until about halfway and it dropped all the way down to 3.2 volts. I usually change the battery out once its at 3.5, but only for the Pegasus. I've been using those older batteries I mentioned on my ipv mini 2 since I bought it about maybe almost a year ago now and this has never happened, by then again, it really doesn't excel much in the safety department. Ill puff for about 4 seconds ish.

I read a thread about using the 40A aspire battery, should I switch to these you think? But I would prefer not to if its just the Pegasus having issues or I'm doing something wrong. Or maybe even switch to the manual edition. Again I really do appreciate the help! I've been asking places left and right and your the first to even begin helping :) I really enjoy the Pegasus A LOT but I gotta admit this kinda sucks lol.
  • Oh and the new sonys seem to be working better than my older batteries, well that should be obvious but still lol.
  • Oh! One more thing, the battery display tends to pulse up and down after each puff. Just makin sure this is normal or have something to do with the battery.
  • edited February 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    The Sony VTC4 is a very good battery for your 40W coils. I'm hearing that it is so good that the fakes out number the genuine batteries sold. I buy my batteries locally from a trusted source.

The voltage jump is normal. it can drop up to 0.5V and bounce back while vaping. The actual jump depends on the power delivered to the coil.

At 40W your 0.4Ω coil needs 10A at 4V. The power regulating circuitry within the Pegasus will boost the voltage from the battery to meet this demand, but draw more current from the battery to do so.

Batteries all have an internal resistance. For the Sony VTC4 this is about 12mΩ. That means that the battery output voltage will drop 0.12 - 0.25 volts as soon as you press the firing button. With the voltage protection of the Pegasus kicking in at 3.2V, you need to recharge this battery when the voltage before you puff has dropped to about 3.5 volts. A new fully charged Sony VTC4 can only discharge about 700mAh before reaching this point. At 10A, you reach this point in 0.07hrs or about 4 minutes of vaping. You can find the specs for the Sony VTC4 I used for this analysis here.

So, about 4 minutes of vaping after inserting freshly charged battery, the Pegasus will automatically reduce the power to the coil. This causes the weaker hits you have noticed. You need to carry a spare battery or two to get through the day.

If you use a two battery MOD, each battery will be able to discharge 1200mAh before power protection kicks in. This will give you about 15 minutes of vaping, not 8 minutes, before you need to change them. Your batteries will also last a lot longer. Personally I'd use single battery MODs like the Pegasus, or Pegasus mini for coils below 25W, and dual battery MODs for coils above 25W. I say "I'd use" because I have large hands and a bigger two battery MOD is more comfortable in them. My wife has smaller hands and prefers single battery MODs. She vapes mouth to lung, and is really impressed with the gold Odyssey mini kit.

• Great! Hey thanks for all the information! It's greatly appreciated!
  • Got my Pegasus and Triton 2 a few days ago and have had the same issue with every battery I've tried. When using the triton 0.5 ohm coils that have a recommends wattage of 40-45w I can only fire it a few times before it starts limiting the voltage. A fresh cell off the charger fired at 40w shows 4.51v but after 4 or 5 pulls it drops to 3.91v or basically 30w. Same results regardless of battery used. Put the atty on to a Coolfire IV at 40w, which is its max setting, and I can fire it consistently at 4.51v for over a 100 pulls. Even when the device shows the battery getting low, say 3.5v, it still fires correctly. The Pegasus is the best looking and nicest to hold mod I have but so far the worst performing. I am going to hook it up to a regulated bench power supply capable of a constant 50 amps and see if the problem is with the Pegasus itself.
  • @andylee I'd be very interested in seeing the results of the tests at various input voltages and output power.
  • Will hopefully have some results next week, need to borrow some test equipment from the lab at work. Have been trying to find a full spec for the Pegasus on the aspire site, they don't state a max current rating only the ohm range and voltage output range. As I intend to use the 0.5 Clapton coils around 40w I'm looking for 4.5V 9A through the coil, allowing for the step up and efficiency losses the battery draw will be at best 10A and increasing as voltage drops. From my initial tests with limited equipment, it appears the regulator has a 3.2V soft limit at which point it reduces output. A 2.75V on load cutoff coupled with a 3.3V off load battery low warning would seem reasonable. I would rather replace a battery after 6 months of good use than 12 months of limited performance.
  • Agreed! And yea please let as know as soon as possible! :)
  • Good evening all. I managed to get some tests done on the Pegasus. As I think I stated in my first post, I really like this mod in terms of its aesthetics, my concern is with its performance electronically. When powered from an external regulated supply the device is certainly capable of firing a 0.5ohm Clapton coil at the recommended wattage range. Had I planned the test better, I would have used an old RBA instead of the Triton 2 so that I could fire at higher wattages and for longer durations. Something to try next week.

Reducing the supply voltage to 3.25V caused the board regulator to reduce output. I find this level to be too high, most 18650 cells suffer no harm dropping to 2.75V under load or 3.3V no load. As a single cell mod I just don't think it's practical to run with the Triton 2 and Clapton coils at 35W-40W unless I carry 6 fully charged VTC4 cells to get me through the day.

I gave the Pegasus a good clean with IPA, the battery connection points and the 510 connector looked less than perfect, vape performance is the same but the coil resistance measurement seems to be more stable.

As a sub 20W device with something like a 1.8ohm coil it's a good mod. Higher wattage with sub ohm is not so good. As a temp controlled device its tragic, the set value should be an upper limit cut off to avoid dry hits and wick burn, not a target temperature to run at as it seems to be implemented on this device.
  • Hello Old Salt, thanks for the very informative post. I found this thread because I was absolutely shocked at the awful performance of my pegasus today, but I am using it at 70w with the exact same battery in this post, if you're saying 40w lasts about 5 minutes... what on earth do I need to put inside this thing for it to run with my sub ohm tank? feel like I just wasted my money buying my setup.
  • edited February 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Mikeysauce Mooch on ecf is acknowledged as the top authority on batteries with respect to vaping. You can find a blurb about him here, and a copy of his results here. I use the graphs he produces to determine what we can expect from the batteries.
  • The IPV mini 2 allowed me to vape at 40 watts until the battery was discharged. There wasn't much for safety on that mod however, no low battery protection etc.
  • @Kyle.n10 Safety is a key issue, especially in a society that assumes someone else is responsible for their choices. Can you imagine the lawsuits had someone been injured due to the IPV's lack of safety features?
  • @Old_Salt thanks for the clarification. I have swapped my tank (sense herakles plus) back to my older atlantis v2 tank and the battery is a lot better at 30w.
  • I certainly noticed a lot of "sag" when I was using an RDA at 70w on my Pegasus mods, but vaping at 30-40w can get me through a working day - I'd need to charge it in the evening though...
© 2017 Powered by Aspire