Aspire Clapton Coils Temperature Controllable?? What are they made of SS w/kanthal wrap?

Aspire Clapton Coils Temperature Controllable?? What are they made of SS w/kanthal wrap?

So i just purchased an E-vic VTC mini that has temp control and I'm using a Triton 2 tank with 0.5ohm clapton coils. I hate vaping hot, I much prefer a cooler vape and I vape and low wattage (not cloud chasing just trying to kick cigarettes)

My questions are:

Can I temperature control the aspire clapton coil at 100C (lowest setting) ???

What is the coil made of?

What TCR rating would I want to use? I cant figure this out
Right now I'm just vaping SS316 @100C with 40W
Comments
  • 11 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The Claptons are Kanthal on Kanthal, so TC is not advisable. The temperature coefficient for Kanthal A1 is 0.00002.

100°C is too low for vaping. PG vaporizes at 188.2°C and VG vaporizes at 290°C. I recommend 295°C - 310°C for TC vaping.

Translation for Fahrenheit users:
    212°F is too low for vaping. PG vaporizes at 371°F and VG vaporizes at 554°F. I recommend 560°F - 590°F for TC vaping.
    Canuckbig_vape
  • @Cegoca It is higher than a lot of folks use. I found that the coils lasted longer, and I got the response I wanted at those temperatures. I've moved away from the TC and have gone back to wattage with the Claptons. It's all I currently use, due to the more intense flavor. The Claptons for the Triton, and the mini Triton really deliver. I think they're the best coils Aspire makes.
    watkijwbig_vape
  • Seems rather high temp to me as I read VG degrades rapidly above it's boiling point.
    big_vape
  • @Old_Salt I agree with you 100%. I also gave up on the TC idea, and have gone back to good old Kanthal. And these Claptons are the best thing to ever happen to vaping for me.
    big_vape
  • I agree with you guys on the Clapton coils ;)
  • There are companies working on TC for more coils right now so it's just a matter of time. There is a new mod right now that expands on the variety of coils that can be used with TC.
  • edited December 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @ksedwar The problem is instrumentation. Kanthal, with it's temperature coefficient of 0.00002 requires accurate resistance measurements of 1/10,000Ω for an accuracy of 5°C or 9°F. This is for a 1Ω single coil setup. When you have parallel or sub-ohm coils the accuracy of resistance measurement has to go up. These setups can require a measurement accuracy of one one millionth of an ohm.

Measurements are possible, but they require special circuitry in a temperature controlled oven. The components would all need to be high precision. These requirements would increase the size, weight and cost of a MOD to the extent that sales would not cover development cost.

I find it amazing that materials with temperature coefficients of 0.00150 (stainless steel) can be used for temperature control.

• edited December 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    If I try to get too technical I'll end up sounding like a fool so, there's that. My knowledge on this comes from blogs, newsletters and social media.

Kanger has released the Kbox 120 and 200 with nichrome temp control. The Kbox minis will have it as well.

Also (this is only rumor AFAIK) Innokin is supposedly researching TC with Kanthal by using a thermal sensor in the coil.

As for cost some people don't seem to care. I see loads of money spent on new hardware that doesn't offer anything more than less expensive hardware. Some price tags are ridiculous but people still buy because it's new "cutting edge" technology. There is even a newly released Vape Phone selling for $299 and $499.

Prices eventually come down on almost everything due to competition in the market.
  • @ksedwar I think the 'sensor in the coil' idea will die out due to cost. It can be done, but a special MOD and tank will need to be used with the coils. Coils will need to be redesigned to have three terminals, rather than two, and the sensor will need to be incorporated. As a guess replacement coils would run two to three times the current cost. Some folks will pay, but I think the majority will stay away from the continuing expense of this technology.

Nichrome coils can be used in most MODs that allow use of Ti and adjustment of coefficients. The coefficients for Ti and Nichrome are 0.0035 and 0.004 respectively.

I think the future of TC will be plated materials. Nickle plated with silver, or possibly Kanthal would be my bet. Add a Kanthal wrap for Clapton coils. Coils made this way would be compatible with most current TC capable MODs and tanks. I also suspect that the resistance of high power TC coils will go up, for better control.
  • We might even see some material new to TC vaping come along this year. I think TC still has a lot of possibilities to explore.
  • @ksedwar
    ksedwar said:

We might even see some material new to TC vaping come along this year. I think TC still has a lot of possibilities to explore.

Well it happened much sooner then I would have guessed. The Altus Tank by Guo has been released. An Atomizer with no coil.
    Using a cutting-edge silicon valley material that was developed over two years, this tank has a CVU chip, or center vaping unit, that has been granted over a dozen patents in the United States and lasts for years.
    Time will tell but this is pretty advanced compared to what we have seen so far.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire