SS 316L coils in TC mode ?

Having read elsewhere that SS coils are also used in TC mode, I just tried this in my Triton 2 and on my Pegasus 2. A 0.3 Ohm SS coil set at 300ºF in Ni mode gives very good flavour and clouds.
Any one else tried or am I doing something I shouldn't here ?
Comments
  • 27 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I use them on my Smok X-Cube 2 (set to TC-SS, SC, Slow, 0.00600) at temps from 295 - 310°C. They work quite well.

• edited November 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Old_Salt What I id I did above is no good to do at all, thanks for pointing that out to me !

Really, don't try this at home folks !
    I did this by mistake, thinking I was using a Ni200 coil and then thought it also worked on a SS coil but the temperature gets way too hight after a while.
    Must have got some dirty stuff in my lungs meanwhile.
    TC on a SS must only be used with a box having that feature !, so NOT the Pegasus !
    There is way too much difference between SS and Ni.

@Tina Could you please delete this thread here ?
  • @Cegoca It doesn't matter.
    You tell the actual truth at your second post.
    ;;)
    @Tina Well ok, I just don't want others to make the same mistake as I did :\">
  • @Cegoca I am currently using the TC with SS on a 0.3 Ohm Triton coil as we speak. Do not use it on the 0.4 Ohm coil since it is too high of resistance and heats up too quickly. Also I am using it on a Smok X Cube 2 which supports SS TC. Your device must support SS TC. The TC coefficent for SS is 0.00100 and for Ni it is 0.00600. This is a big difference and will cause problems. I keep it at 450F but the mod keeps it lower.
  • Actually if we could get 0.15 Ohm Triton coils it make it an even better resistance for SS TC
  • @midnightwolf
    These are the figures I've found for temperature coefficients:
    Kanthal A1 0.00002
    Ni200 0.00600
    Nichrome 0.00004
    Nickel 0.00641
    Stainless Steel 0.00150
    Titanium 0.0035

SS and Ni200 values are the defaults for the Smok X-Cube 2. Where can I find the more accurate values?
  • Isn't the SS TC mode on the Smok-X-Cube 2 an upgrade you have to pay for ?
  • No, cost is $ 0.49 for Ti, and $0.99 for SS.

Did you notice that they put intelligent coil detection on the X-Cube mini?
  • @Old_Salt From what I have tried to look up, all I could find for the coefficent for 316l was 0.000094. Was there any place I could find the coefficients reliably?
  • Thermal coefficients of resistance are readily available for materials commonly used in electrical/electronic applications. I think that this is determined through experimentation by those that use other materials such as 316L.

An exact figure is not required for our purposes, although it would be nice. We need a figure that's in the ballpark, that we can use as a starting point. After that, we experiment with the temperature setting to get the best taste or cloud production. The temperature we set is then not an exact figure, but the vaping effect is reproducible if we give the coefficient used, as well as the set temperature.

• That's great info just got the smok xcube 2 just started to play around with it in temp mode.
  • @Joel360 It's got its own set of problems, but I think the Smok X-Cube 2 gives the most bang for the buck at its current price point of less than $50USD.
  • Yes it does have some problems but 1.93 firmware solved most TC problems
    @midnightwolf @Joel360 Your Smartphone/tablet must have BEC (Bluetooth 4.0). The IOS version I have works. Some of the Android Apps have crashed on launch. The Android Apps are full of references of what to do on IOS. The MS program to push the firmware onto the X-Cube 2 did not work for me. I had to find and download an earlier version. Ensure you unzip both the program and config file into the same directory, and execute from that directory, or nothing works. ;)
  • I'm actually very interested in a temperature curve for the SS coils for a DNA 200 device.

I believe the change in resistance and temperature is a very linear relationship with Nickel, however it is more of a curve for some other materials. Does anyone here know whether SS has a similarly linear change in resistance with temperature or whether a curve represents this better?

It would be great if Aspire could provide that kind of information for their coils...
    @Tina or @NoSmoking would you be able to pass this request to the relevant teams? :)
  • @Viruk I will check with our engineer department.
  • One thing I have to recommend, especially if you can manually adjust your mods ohms, is to put ANY coil on an Ohm reader. Make sure you short your Ohm reader to get the internal resistance of it. Then subtract the shorted resistance from what reads out from your coil and you will have the actual resistance. This is important to insure that you have the correct coil resistance on your device or the TC of the may not work like it should.
  • @Tina was there any update on this? I'd really like to try my SS Triton coils with temperature curve information on a DNA200 :)

@midnightwolf I'm still waiting for my DNA 200 to arrive (and waiting to test!), however manufacturers are able to set the internal resistance of the mod itself in escribe to account for that difference in resistance - but it's a consideration that many do not factor in!
  • I'm using a temperature coefficient for Stainless Steel of 0.00150, and firing at 295°C with good results. VG vaporizes at 290°C, PG at 188.2°C, and ethanol at 78.4°C. It takes a few seconds for the VG to heat up and start vaporizing. Below 290°C the ethanol and PG are vaporized and carry droplets of VG in their vapor, but much of it remains behind. It's the same type of thing that happens in an alcohol still when the temperature is above the boiling point of ethanol, but below that of water as you separate the two.
  • @Old_Salt so you're having success with the triton SS coils and that value? on the x cube 2?
  • Yes, it's a good vape. SC = Single Coil, DC = Dual Coil, I use SC. DC is used for parallel coils where the increase in resistance is halved. I also use 'Soft' for the lead-in. That variable determines how quickly the power to the coil is ramped up to get it to your set temperature. It's nice to boil off the ethanol that causes a harsh throat hit before you inhale.
  • I meant SS as in Stainless Steel :)
    I appreciate the feedback though - the point about a soft lead in is good to know and certainly matches some of the pointers I'd read about the equivalent setting on the DNA 200.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire