Introduction to the Hookah

This is meant as a short introduction to the hookah for those without the cultural background of its use. I cannot claim any expertise, as I only shared a bowl or two with friends in my youth. Aspire's entry into the e-Hookah market intrigued me enough to buy the e-hookah and a couple of hookahs to give it a try. I've been researching hookahs on the Internet and talking to folks at local head shops to learn what I have.

A hookah is a water pipe. Shisha, usually a mixture of tobacco and molasses that has had flavouring added, is broiled rather than burned in a bowl. The vapour is drawn down the stem, through water to cool it, and then through a hose into the mouth and lungs. The coals used to broil the shisha last about an hour. This keeps the user tied to his hookah for an hour of rest, socialization, or contemplation. Some hookahs come with several hoses so that friends can share a bowl of shisha.

When I searched for e-hookah on the 'net, the results included many pen style vaporizers, only four that replace the bowl on a traditional hookah, and one complete device. Some of these devices are sold under various brand names. Aspire's e-hookah falls into the the bowl replacement category.

The images show the equipment I intend to use in reviewing Aspire's e-hookah. The first is the hookah, spare stem, and Aspire Proteus I brought home today. The second is the four hose hookah purchased through e-Bay which will arrive within the next two weeks.

I'm looking forward to the review, and sharing my results.
Tinacharlzrocks
Review Stuff.jpg
600 x 897 - 497K
4hose22purple.JPG
382 x 500 - 35K
Comments
  • 16 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited November 2015 Vote Up1Vote Down
    @Tina Thanks.

Will replacement tanks be made available for the Proteus? Complete tanks with top and bottom stoppers would be a nice accessory for the Proteus. This would allow users to have a few favorites on hand to easily change their flavour. Now we have to either buy another complete Proteus for each flavour, or remove and clean the tank, store the atomizer, and insert one for the desired flavour.

An accessory storage box would be nice as well. I think it should hold four spare tanks, have individual places to store their stoppers, space for spare seals four coils, and space for two spare batteries.
    charlzrocks
  • Yes it is, especially today! $37.45, including 2 x 18650s. Oh Yeah!
  • @midnightwolf A medium or small hookah works best. Mine are in the 18" - 22" range Get one with a long neck on the vase to help minimize the airspace in it.
  • Wait for your amazing review. :D
  • @Old_Salt and @Tina Bowl assemblies would be a great attraction if sold separately from the main unit as spares! I also like the idea of the bowl storage box for them as well! Maybe sell 4 spare bowls with the storage box as a kit?
  • OK,I will pass the suggestion to our products development department.
  • Good review salt. =D>
  • edited November 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    We're having a few friends over tonight to try it out on a four hose hookah <:-P
  • @Old_Salt So is it worth getting? Still trying to decide on whether or not to get one
  • edited November 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I wish there were video reviews of this product. Only a handful of places carry it and I only found one review of it and that guy was horrible at reviewing it. He's a novice hookah smoker and has little knowledge on setting up a hookah. The guy overfilled the base with water causing it to produce little smoke and require harsh pulls just to use it. I'm interested in buying one buy I want to see a review first before I go and buy one. I really want to know how it stacks up against other company's e-hookahs and how comparable it is to a traditional tobacco bowl setup. How are the clouds and the taste and battery life? Whats the life of the coil? If I use a hookah with an ice chamber with it will it make it smoother? If I have a defuser on my hookah will it cause problems for the Proteus reading the draw i'm taking from it because its a lighter draw? Is there a way to adjust the wattage or is it a set wattage? What happens to it if i try to purge the smoke from the tank (exhale normal air into the hookah to clear/purge the smoke in the base/glass)? I love aspire and there products. I just wish they did a better job of marketing this product and getting it into the hands of people that know what there doing to review it. I'v bin smoking hookah for 10 years and if this product is amazing I would want to switch and I bet a lot of people that smoke hookah would want to also.
  • I have gone to a hookah bar a few times but trying to get the one I got set up will be a challenge to get it right. Still have to buy the hookah for it and not knowing much about that it is hard to choose.
  • @devilm450 I have one, and use it 3-4 times per week. I started a video review, but have a cold or the flu. The coughing and hacking just won't do much to promote this product. Here's part of the text of my review:

The Aspire Proteus e-Hookah is shipped with a coil installed. Be sure to include a few coils with your order if you purchase on-line, so you don’t run out. Replacement coils are sold individually, not in a package of five like most of Aspire’s other replacement coils.

Remove the tank from the Proteus by turning it counter clockwise. Remove the top cover from the tank, and pour out any remaining liquid. The coil can usually be removed by grasping it between your thumb and forefinger, then turning it out. If the coil is too tight, your fingers too large, or you wish to clean the tank while changing the coil, pull the glass tank body straight out of the base. The tank’s base seal will usually come out with the tank. Now you have more area of the coil to grip, and should be able to remove it easily.

Clean the parts with dish detergent and water, rinse well under running water, then dry thoroughly.

To re-assemble
    - press the bottom seal into the base
    - press and twist the glass tank into the base
    - prime your coil by:
    - placing a drop of your liquid in each wicking hole, and
    - putting a few drops of your liquid on top of the screen in the coil
    - insert the new coil firmly
    - replace the top cover firmly, this will also seat the tank on the base

The Proteus e-Hookah’s tank can be filled one of two ways:
    - remove the cover from the fill port and squeeze in your liquid; or
    - remove the top cover from the tank assembly and pour your liquid
    directly into the tank.
    - For both of these methods, only fill the tank to the bottom edge of the
    top cover. This prevents from the plug forcing liquid through the coil.

Aspire recommends high VG, low nicotine liquids for use in the Proteus. I’m using a maximum VG, 2.5mg/ml liquid. Since this is a thick, viscous liquid I prefer to pour it directly into the tank. It takes less effort and is faster. When using this method, remove the plug from the fill port before re-installing the top cover. This prevents leakage from tank pressurization as the seals compress.

Using a Proteus equipped hookah is very different than vaping from a tank such as the Atlantis 2. The Atlantis has only a cc or two of airspace and you’ll inhale vapour almost immediately. The Proteus equipped hookah can have half a liter or more of airspace which must be replaced before fresh vapour reaches your mouth.

Choosing and Tuning Your Hookah for the Proteus:
    The choice of a hookah to use with the Proteus is very much a personal one. It will work with most hookahs that have one or more hoses. You may need to remove the ash tray from some of the smaller hookahs to get a seal between the Proteus and your hookah as it may sit on the ash tray’s raised edge.

Unlike the smoke from shisha, the vapour produced by the Proteus is mainly water. This will condense rapidly in your hookah. You will not get the most out of your Proteus unless you tune your hookah to minimize condensation. Before starting it is a good idea fo find out what the Proteus is truly capable of. Hold the Proteus in your hand and connect your hookah’s hose directly to the base, then inhale. You should get puff after puff of a dense, flavourful vape. The goal while tuning your hookah is to get as close to this as possible. Some of the things you can do to tune your hookah, from those with the most effect to the least are:
    use hot water in your vase
    reduce the air space in your vase
    reduce the length of your down stem
    use a hookah with a shorter stem
    use shorter hookah hoses
    The water in the vase is used to cool the hot smoke produced by shisha and charcoal. This cooling is not required by the e-Hookah, and can cause harsh, low volume hits if it's not compensated for. The vase is where most of the condensation takes place. This is especially noticeable between puffs. Using hot water in your vase reduces the cooling effect it has on the vapour. The hot water will also warm the vase, slowing down the condensation. Warm your vase slowly so the heat does not crack it.

Use a vase with a longer neck, and fill the vase to at least the bottom of its neck with water. This reduces the surface area of the vase where most of the condensation takes place.

Reduce the length of your downstem so that it descends only 5mm into the water. This will keep the bubbling sound of a typical hookah with only minor cooling of the vapour. If after trying the items above you are still unable to get a satisfactory vape, reduce the length of the downstem to 5mm above your water level. I suggest pouring out some of the water to try this first so the downstem is not cut unnecessarily. You can even remove the downstem entirely, but will lose the smoke in the vase hookah effect.
    A long stem provides more cooling surface for the vapour than a short stem. This will affect those that like to take long, slow puffs or short shallow puffs much more than those drawing deep puffs at the maximum possible rate.

The hookah hose has the least effect on the vapour as it does not conduct heat very well. The use of a shorter hose is recommended over the longest hoses
  • @devilm450 I have one, and use it 3-4 times per week. I started a video review, but have a cold or the flu. The coughing and hacking just won't do much to promote this product. Here's part of the text of my review:

The Aspire Proteus e-Hookah is shipped with a coil installed. Be sure to include a few coils with your order if you purchase on-line, so you don’t run out. Replacement coils are sold individually, not in a package of five like most of Aspire’s other replacement coils.

Remove the tank from the Proteus by turning it counter clockwise. Remove the top cover from the tank, and pour out any remaining liquid. The coil can usually be removed by grasping it between your thumb and forefinger, then turning it out. If the coil is too tight, your fingers too large, or you wish to clean the tank while changing the coil, pull the glass tank body straight out of the base. The tank’s base seal will usually come out with the tank. Now you have more area of the coil to grip, and should be able to remove it easily.

Clean the parts with dish detergent and water, rinse well under running water, then dry thoroughly.

To re-assemble
    - press the bottom seal into the base
    - press and twist the glass tank into the base
    - prime your coil by:
    - placing a drop of your liquid in each wicking hole, and
    - putting a few drops of your liquid on top of the screen in the coil
    - insert the new coil firmly
    - replace the top cover firmly, this will also seat the tank on the base

The Proteus e-Hookah’s tank can be filled one of two ways:
    - remove the cover from the fill port and squeeze in your liquid; or
    - remove the top cover from the tank assembly and pour your liquid
    directly into the tank.
    - For both of these methods, only fill the tank to the bottom edge of the
    top cover. This prevents from the plug forcing liquid through the coil.

Aspire recommends high VG, low nicotine liquids for use in the Proteus. I’m using a maximum VG, 2.5mg/ml liquid. Since this is a thick, viscous liquid I prefer to pour it directly into the tank. It takes less effort and is faster. When using this method, remove the plug from the fill port before re-installing the top cover. This prevents leakage from tank pressurization as the seals compress.

Using a Proteus equipped hookah is very different than vaping from a tank such as the Atlantis 2. The Atlantis has only a cc or two of airspace and you’ll inhale vapour almost immediately. The Proteus equipped hookah can have half a liter or more of airspace which must be replaced before fresh vapour reaches your mouth.

Choosing and Tuning Your Hookah for the Proteus:
    The choice of a hookah to use with the Proteus is very much a personal one. It will work with most hookahs that have one or more hoses. You may need to remove the ash tray from some of the smaller hookahs to get a seal between the Proteus and your hookah as it may sit on the ash tray’s raised edge.

Unlike the smoke from shisha, the vapour produced by the Proteus is mainly water. This will condense rapidly in your hookah. You will not get the most out of your Proteus unless you tune your hookah to minimize condensation. Before starting it is a good idea fo find out what the Proteus is truly capable of. Hold the Proteus in your hand and connect your hookah’s hose directly to the base, then inhale. You should get puff after puff of a dense, flavourful vape. The goal while tuning your hookah is to get as close to this as possible. Some of the things you can do to tune your hookah, from those with the most effect to the least are:
    use hot water in your vase
    reduce the air space in your vase
    reduce the length of your down stem
    use a hookah with a shorter stem
    use shorter hookah hoses
    The water in the vase is used to cool the hot smoke produced by shisha and charcoal. This cooling is not required by the e-Hookah, and can cause harsh, low volume hits if it's not compensated for. The vase is where most of the condensation takes place. This is especially noticeable between puffs. Using hot water in your vase reduces the cooling effect it has on the vapour. The hot water will also warm the vase, slowing down the condensation. Warm your vase slowly so the heat does not crack it.

Use a vase with a longer neck, and fill the vase to at least the bottom of its neck with water. This reduces the surface area of the vase where most of the condensation takes place.

Reduce the length of your downstem so that it descends only 5mm into the water. This will keep the bubbling sound of a typical hookah with only minor cooling of the vapour. If after trying the items above you are still unable to get a satisfactory vape, reduce the length of the downstem to 5mm above your water level. I suggest pouring out some of the water to try this first so the downstem is not cut unnecessarily. You can even remove the downstem entirely, but will lose the smoke in the vase hookah effect.
    A long stem provides more cooling surface for the vapour than a short stem. This will affect those that like to take long, slow puffs or short shallow puffs much more than those drawing deep puffs at the maximum possible rate.

The hookah hose has the least effect on the vapour as it does not conduct heat very well. The use of a shorter hose is recommended over the longest hoses
    Review Stuff.jpg
    600 x 897 - 497K
    tank.jpg
    1024 x 768 - 581K
    tank.jpg 580.8K
  • Thank you for the detailed review.
  • I tried it never used a hookah and I was impressed. But it's not for but very cool idea. Good flavor and cloud.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire