With so many tanks on the market these days it can be hard to choose what to use. Every tank is different and everyone's needs are different. I struggle every day in my decision on what tank I want to use. When choosing the right tank for you, here are a few tips I have found to be useful.
1. Choose a tank that pairs well with the mod/battery that you are using. Make sure the power requirements of the tank matches what you are using. Just because a mod goes up to 50W and as low as 0.2 Ohms does not mean it will fire all 0.2 Ohm coils. If the coils for the tank you are looking for are rated to be ran above the Wattage output of a device, chances are you are not going to get a good vape. Also, a lot of mods on the market today do not go below 10W. In some higher ohm coils, this may be too high of a wattage for that coil and could burn it out quickly.
2. Choose a tank for the type of e-liquid you are using. If you are using a higher PG based juice, sub-ohm tanks many not be for you. This kind of juice tends to be harsher the stronger the vape device is. On the flip side, most higher ohm tanks are not made for high VG e-liquid. High VG e-liquid tends to be thicker in consistency and the coils on most higher ohm mods just cannot wick fast enough.
3. Are you a lung hitter or a mouth to lung hitter? For someone that likes a mouth to lung hits, typically you will want to look for a tank that has a more restrictive air flow and a higher ohm coil. For someone that likes a lung hit, the higher the air flow and lower the ohms is typically better for you.
4. Are you a flavor chaser or a cloud chaser? This one can be tricky. Higher Ohm coils tend to be better for flavor chasers. This can be very subjective though. There are plenty of sub ohm tanks on the market that are great for flavor chasers. For cloud chasers, you want a sub ohm device. Usually more coils and lower ohms give bigger clouds but not always. Air flow can effect both either way.
5. Do you want a cooler vape or a warmer vape. The more wattage you use, the hotter the vape will be. Typically a coil that is of higher ohm will provide a cooler vape. A sub-ohm coil typically will give you a cooler vape. This is not always true and will depend on the tank.
6. What nicotine strength are you using? For higher nicotine strength juices, you will want to use a higher ohm coil. I can run a 12mg juice in a tank that is 1.8Ohms but if I ran it on a 0.5 Ohm tank it would give me too much of a throat hit and would be too harsh. Typically with sub ohm tanks you should use between 0-6mg max. A lot of people use 3mg max in sub ohm tanks but I know plenty that do 6mg. Anything over 6mg will definitely be for higher ohm tank.
Hopefully with some of these tips, it can help you to choose your next tank. I did not go into Temperature Control because that is not really a big factor atm in most choices and I did not go into the fact that some tanks have crazy coils in them. I would recommend staying away from these types of tanks if you are a beginner.