1.0ohm Very strange taste

Hi all

I have bought a pack of 1.0ohm Atlantis BVC's (From Amazon and Genuine) and i am getting a weird taste. I am firing at 27 watts and even lowered it and took it up to 30 watts. I really cant explain it. I am using the same juice as i have always done. I have tried 2 different 1.0ohm coils, one in the Atlantis and one in the Atlantis 2 and they both have the same taste. I put a 0.5ohm in the Atlantis 2 and the taste is back to normal.

I am firing with an eleaf istick 40 and eleaf istick 50.

Has anyone else had this experience with the 1.0ohm?

Thanks in advance.

Madboy
Comments
  • 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Hi, it could just be a bad batch of coils - Aspire sometimes get it wrong believe it or not - could be iffy cotton or some machine oil contamination on the metallic parts before they were assembled?

You could try soaking and rinsing the coils, don't use water as the cotton wool tends to mat down as the water slowly dries out - I would suggest using Isopropyl Alcohol or even plain Vodka (don't mind if I do, thank you) , give them a soak for half an hour, swish them around in the solution a few times, shake them dry then put somewhere warm to dry off and evaporate quick - I have used that method to change flavours when I have been short of coils and it does work.
    Madboycharlzrocks
  • @woodbar

You are a mega star mate. You just saved me £12. I soaked 2 of them in Isopropyl Alcohol for 30 minutes and then put them on the radiator. I now have perfect vaping again. Thank you thank you.

Regards

Madboy
    charlzrocks
  • woodbar said:

Hi, it could just be a bad batch of coils - Aspire sometimes get it wrong believe it or not - could be iffy cotton or some machine oil contamination on the metallic parts before they were assembled?

You could try soaking and rinsing the coils, don't use water as the cotton wool tends to mat down as the water slowly dries out - I would suggest using Isopropyl Alcohol or even plain Vodka (don't mind if I do, thank you) , give them a soak for half an hour, swish them around in the solution a few times, shake them dry then put somewhere warm to dry off and evaporate quick - I have used that method to change flavours when I have been short of coils and it does work.

Madboy said:

@woodbar

You are a mega star mate. You just saved me £12. I soaked 2 of them in Isopropyl Alcohol for 30 minutes and then put them on the radiator. I now have perfect vaping again. Thank you thank you.

Regards

Madboy

Great advice @woodbar! Glad ya got @Madboy up and vaping again! I have used plain vodka (cheers, mate!) to clean my coils as well and it works great unless you have a really dark sticky juice then I have to treat the coils twice! #-o
  • I most certainly do. I just assumed that alcohol would have ruined the cotton. Absolutely brilliant advice.

Many thanks

Madboy
  • @Madboy I am very pleased it worked for you as well - there is often a simple solution to these little problems we get with vaping - it's what these forums were designed for I guess.

Thanks for the comments @charlzrocks - not sure about the cocktail though - a fine, 5 year old, Spanish Brandy would be my favourite - or even a 7 star Metaxa!
  • I had the same issue when using 1.8 ohm coils, I used rubbing alcohol soaked for 30 mins and let dry out. After reinstall it worked fine and the bitter taste wasn't there and I could enjoy the cape again. I'll definitely try this again if it happens but I'm going to soak all new coils before I use them. Again thanks for the tip.
  • @MarkWT I also am going to soak my new coils as well before using them from now on as well. At least you know you will get the correct flavour, especially when you try a new flavour, it could really be off putting if the cotton is contaminated prior to firing up.

Regards

Madboy
  • Guys , Isopropyl Alcohol leave trace of chemical behind, never wash your stuff with that! . use volka or Pure grain Alcohol. Look around in other forum, you will see same thing
  • @GroupB Isopropyl Alcohol does leave traces behind. I use it and flush thoroughly with water to remove the traces of Isopropyl Alcohol. The reason I use it is that the highest concentration of clear flavorless alcohol I can get is 40% (80 proof).
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @GroupB Blimey I did not know that - I am feeling dizzy and I have just been using an Isopropyl cleaned coil!

Joking aside, I was always told it did not leave any residue but I will take on board your advice.

I can find some 96% pure Ethyl Alcohol on line here for a not too exorbitant price (says partly denatured) - any thoughts on the suitability of that?
  • @woodbar Denatured ethyl alcohol is poisoned with one or more of the following chemicals: methanol, denatonium benzoate, denatonium saccharide, isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, pyridine, benzene, diethyl phthalate, and naphtha isopropanol, methyl ethyl ketone, methyl isobutyl ketone, pyridine, benzene, diethyl phthalate, or naphtha.

Without knowing the de-naturing agents used, the cure is worse than the disease.
  • @Old_Salt Well that sounds scary.

Not being a chemist it seemed that the DE-natured sounded like it was removing something NOT adding a cocktail of pollutants?

So, this is a bit of a minefield then as on doing some basic research it would seem that Ethyl Alcohol (AKA Ethanol) is what we drink in our Brandy, Whiskey etc. but we should not vape any tiny residue left in the coil - I am confused - or is it just the De-natured bit that is the problem?

I might just stick with the Isopropyl Alcohol and make sure it is dried out thoroughly or maybe rinsed - although I find the cotton loses its fluffy texture when you use water as it dries out so slowly?

Trouble is we are all being slowly (I hope) poisoned all the time with chemicals liberally used in food growing, production and preservation along with a cocktail of pollutants in the atmosphere from transport and industry plus a plethora of RF and microwaves.........etc. etc.

Not forgetting that most of us used to set fire to a paper tube filled with tobacco (and chemicals) and then deeply inhale the resultant smoke containing several thousand different chemicals and by-products!

• The de-naturing is meant to protect government revenue, as it's meant to make the alcohol undrinkable, even in small quantities.

The cotton will harden when dried, but softens again when it is soaked with e-liquid. It will just take a little longer to initially absorb the liquid. The coil will be fine once it's soaked.
  • Right after reading this thread, i am now more confused. What should i clean my coils with?

Regards

Madboy
  • @Madboy You're confused - I am not sure which way is up :D

@Old_Salt Ah, OK, that makes sense then so I follow your reasoning. In that case it would be advantageous to get some purified/distilled water as the tapwater around here has a fair amount of chalk (and other things no doubt added by the supplier) which obviously will precipitate onto the cotton as the water evaporates
  • Just find the highest concentration of Ethanol you can find. Everclear would be perfect, but you can substitute Vodka if you can't get that. Vodka is mostly unflavored so it won't spoil your coil. :D

Do NOT use isopropanol, methanol, and ethylene glycol as they are unfit for human consumption!
  • Thanks all. Vodka it is then. Cheers
  • @watkijw I like to use plenty of Vodka when I am cleaning my tanks (Ice cold Vodka Norsk preferably) but after a few of them I get confused as to what I should be cleaning my tanks with? :-?

Thanks for the tip.
    I also got the same strange taste right this very second when i put a brand new 0.5ohm Atlantis Coil in my Atlantis 1. Could it be me? Its like a dry musty taste.

Its weird.

No Vodka here, so ill have to use isopropanol and then wash it in water.

Regards

Madboy
  • Talking of Vodka, am I dreaming or do I remember seeing somewhere that some people actually dilute their 100% VG juice with it, to make it thinner?

@Madboy Trouble is, with all this organic, unwashed, unbleached cotton you can't be sure what the plants were watered or fertilised with - I can think of several "organic" things that might not taste nice!
  • @woodbar I've never used it to thin the liquid, but it has been used to increase the throat hit.
  • @Old_Salt Ah, that's what I must have read now you come to mention it.

I wonder if it has any intoxicating effects?
  • @woodbar Not in the quantities used. The maximum would be about 10% of the total volume or about 0.3 ml per Triton tank. It would be next to impossible to vape fast enough to get intoxicated.
  • @Old_Salt Well that has given me an idea then - I wonder what a small dose of Brandy would do mixed into the juice - probably not as "pure" as Vodka I know but I wonder if it would give an increase in throat hit with a little added flavour?

Any thoughts?
  • @woodbar I would be VERY careful adding anything flammable to an e-juice. I think you would be much better off having a shot and a vape... :)
  • @watkijw Yes, I appreciate your advice - it was suggested a little "tongue in cheek" - might make things go with a bang!
    It would be a waste of a good brandy. The flavor isn't concentrated enough. Everclear was the recommended additive. No, it wouldn't go up in flames.

Flavors used in baking were, and still are often recommended. Brandy is just one of the many I've used :)

I like a mix of orange and brandy to simulate Grand Marinier. :D
  • @Madboy are you premoistening your coils with e-liquid before you use them? It may sound strange but if you don't, sometimes just letting it sit in the tank and waiting for it to wick up the juice will cause it not to absorb enough and you will get a dry hit or cotton flavor from it.
  • @Madboy are you premoistening your coils with e-liquid before you use them? It may sound strange but if you don't, sometimes just letting it sit in the tank and waiting for it to wick up the juice will cause it not to absorb enough and you will get a dry hit or cotton flavor from it.

Yes i am wicking first. I put lots on the cotton and let it seep in and then add more. I then let it stand in the tank with the juice for a good 5 minutes. I really must be doing something wrong here. I also use an ego mega one and dont have any of these problems at all. I really dont get it. I have also changed juice, just to see if it was that and its not as i have exactly the same taste on another coil. Its driving me nuts here.

Regards

Madboy

© 2017 Powered by Aspire