E-cigarettes could be prescribed by the NHS to help smokers quit

Comments
  • 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I think it’s a good idea. It helped me and a lot of my friends quit.
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    On the face of it it sounds like an excellent idea - it means that certain parts of the "establishment" have finally given credence to the efficacy of vaping as an aid to either reducing or stopping an addiction to nicotine, or providing a healthier option compared to smoking for those that can't or wont beat their addiction.

However, if you read the articles you soon realise that any such approved devices are based on older technology and would be in the form of a cig-a-like device WHICH WOULD HAVE TO BE LICENSED AND APPROVED AS A MEDICINE! Once we reach that point it is likely that the sale of any non- approved devices would be banned.

You get no prizes for guessing who would test, licence and manufacture these devices - why, what a surprise, the big tobacco companies of course - they have to replace their falling profits from the drop in cigarette sales with something else!

As I have said before, there is just TOO much money and tax revenue tied up in tobacco - any other product that is proven to kill you (sooner or later) would have been banned years ago - what we actually get from the establishment is advice that "you really must quit" (and maybe use one of our "approved" substitutes) but if you can't then get your next pack from any corner shop and "thank you for the tax and supporting local industry"
  • woodbar said:

On the face of it it sounds like an excellent idea - it means that certain parts of the "establishment" have finally given credence to the efficacy of vaping as an aid to either reducing or stopping an addiction to nicotine, or providing a healthier option compared to smoking for those that can't or wont beat their addiction.

However, if you read the articles you soon realise that any such approved devices are based on older technology and would be in the form of a cig-a-like device WHICH WOULD HAVE TO BE LICENSED AND APPROVED AS A MEDICINE! Once we reach that point it is likely that the sale of any non- approved devices would be banned.

You get no prizes for guessing who would test, licence and manufacture these devices - why, what a surprise, the big tobacco companies of course - they have to replace their falling profits from the drop in cigarette sales with something else!

As I have said before, there is just TOO much money and tax revenue tied up in tobacco - any other product that is proven to kill you (sooner or later) would have been banned years ago - what we actually get from the establishment is advice that "you really must quit" (and maybe use one of our "approved" substitutes) but if you can't then get your next pack from any corner shop and "thank you for the tax and supporting local industry"

I completely agree!!!!
  • woodbar said:

"device WHICH WOULD HAVE TO BE LICENSED AND APPROVED AS A MEDICINE! "

Big Tobacco has taken a new mate - Big Pharmaceutical! The hoped for progeny is Big Profits.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire