Burnt Flavor & Small Clouds

I have the Atlantis Series Tank on my Joytech Evic VT. The first week i bought the Atlantis tank and used 12mg Nicotine five pawns signature series e-juice at with mod set at 25 watts with my atomizer at .54 ohm doing full lung pulls and getting amazing flavor with huge clouds. After almost 2 weeks I had to replace the atomizer and installed an "identical" .5 ohm and now everything tastes & functions terrible. All of my settings are the same as before & would like to know what is causing the burnt flavor and small clouds before spending money on more coils. Any input would be great, thank you.
20150811_141235.jpg
2560 x 1536 - 1016K
Comments
  • 28 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • edited September 2015 Vote Up3Vote Down
    @charlzrocks I think Aspire erred in releasing multiple new technologies simultaneously. Including the new stainless steel coils with the Triton has tied the problems with those coils to the Triton. Adding in the folks migrating from other tanks and not realizing that the coils need to be well-tightened has given an excellent tank a poor reputation. I think that including the 1.8Ω and 1.0Ω Kanthal coils would have smoothed the release. Waiting to announce the RTAs as 'coming soon' until the Triton started shipping would also have helped. The shipping delays caused by the wait for manufacturing to complete the stainless steel coils and RTAs would have been avoided, as well as separating the coil and tank issues.

The Pegasus release was also poorly orchestrated. The announcement should have been delayed until TC was tested, and they were rolling off of the production line. The shipping delay of several weeks while they added TC angered many of their customers who had payed for the product.

Perhaps a beta test program, with a hundred testers that signed a non-disclosure agreement leading the general announcement by one month would serve Aspire well. This should give the company a chance to fix any problems before the release.
    VirukcharlzrocksSouthy321
  • It could just be a dud coil - even Aspire sometimes get it wrong!

I assume the "identical" coil is a genuine Aspire one and not a clone?
  • What Woodward said.

The other thing is to let a new coil sit for a while, and wick the juice up all the way before the first hit. Once, the cotton gets burnt, there really isn't a way to recover from it.

Tricks that I've found to speed up the wicking processes. Close off all the airflow openings, and then suck on the drip tip several times. Open them up slightly, and start at a low voltage/wattage, then work your way up on airflow and power.

Personally, I found it's better to flood a bit and get gurgles at first, than to deal with a dry burnt coil. Flooded coils can be flicked clear, vaped clear. Burnt coils, thrown away.
  • @DRDEEPGREEN
    You may shorten the life of your coils a little running them slightly high - but its not uncommon from what I can tell. If its working for you then keep on doing it :)

I run the Atlantis coil with the current juice (80% VG) in the Triton Tank at about 33-35W, that's rated at 25-30 and doing fine. There are examples of people running much higher settings above the recommended wattage.

A friend of mine runs the same coils in his Atlantis at about 40W - using a different juice, but I'm not sure of the PG/VG ratio he is using.

I wouldn't imagine you'd get any major problems going a little bit over - but dial it back if you notice any burnt hits.
    DRDEEPGREEN
  • @DRDEEPGREEN
    I'm sorry I can't offer much more in the way suggestions, other than taking the coils back to the place you bought them. I understand how frustrating that would be. I guess no company is immune from having a "bad batch". I know its no consolation to you, but there do seem to be good ones out there - maybe the retailer can offer some help and advice (or with some luck a replacement or refund)?
    DRDEEPGREEN
  • I have run into that myself run my. 5ohm coils at 40w.
    DRDEEPGREEN
  • It could be the mix of your juice then I use 80vg 20pg and my coils last at least a month. And some flavors will caramelize the coil I use clear juices the coils last longer.
    DRDEEPGREEN
  • Old_Salt said:

@charlzrocks I think Aspire erred in releasing multiple new technologies simultaneously. Including the new stainless steel coils with the Triton has tied the problems with those coils to the Triton. Adding in the folks migrating from other tanks and not realizing that the coils need to be well-tightened has given an excellent tank a poor reputation. I think that including the 1.8Ω and 1.0Ω Kanthal coils would have smoothed the release. Waiting to announce the RTAs as 'coming soon' until the Triton started shipping would also have helped. The shipping delays caused by the wait for manufacturing to complete the stainless steel coils and RTAs would have been avoided, as well as separating the coil and tank issues.

The Pegasus release was also poorly orchestrated. The announcement should have been delayed until TC was tested, and they were rolling off of the production line. The shipping delay of several weeks while they added TC angered many of their customers who had payed for the product.

Perhaps a beta test program, with a hundred testers that signed a non-disclosure agreement leading the general announcement by one month would serve Aspire well. This should give the company a chance to fix any problems before the release.

I concur wholeheartedly! Aspire is making headway in the innovation department, however the pre-release testing should be revised to include current clientele, thus affording an unbiased opinion regarding the product as well as troubleshooting time for the pre-production release of said product. Ahem. :-B
    DRDEEPGREEN
  • @spacelady13 Depends on how bad a hit. Typically you can get 2-3 dry hits before the cotton actually burns, in my experience. Just do some cold pulls, or wait until the wick is saturated again and you should be ok.
    spacelady13
  • .... what Guz said!

It's funny how we forget to state the basics (well I do anyway) which we do automatically with a new coil - but you covered it!
  • Thank you for the input. So i have gone through 2 atomizers since yesterday afternoon while trying to fix the burnt metallic taste and small clouds. i pre soaked 2 atomizers with five pawns signature series juice before reinstalling them into my regular atlantis tank. Could there be a possibility of purchasing several dud atomizers? they all came from the same pack of 5 and im hesitant on trying the other 3. By the sounds of the comments i have seen and read i believe my issue to be defective coils. I always prime to coils before installing and found the negative pressure priming works well too.

Why are so many aspire Atlantis atomizers defective?
  • @DRDEEPGREEN I have to ask, where have you been getting your coils from?
  • Fresno Cigarettes & Cigars
    7773 N 1st St
    Fresno, CA 93720

They are a legit shop and have been around for years.

• Did your pack of 5 coils have the "scratch and sniff" label on the carton and, if so, have you checked them on this site for authenticity?
  • If you've been getting all your coils from them, and have been getting an excessive number of "duds", for "grins and giggles", try another shop or try ordering directly from Aspire.

Just a suggestion... You never know...
  • I double checked the boxes of coils i purchased and the scratch code was valid and good to go. So i tried another shop and gave aspire the benefit of the doubt and tried another shop and let those coils soak over night in my 6mg berry intense by E Drip. Never the less, each coil lasted 24 hours after doing an over night prime and a 5 minute prime. After 24 hours there is 25% of the cotton turning black and im getting much smaller clouds. I am seriously considering switching to a kanger tank because of $60 in coils over the last 2 weeks. I follow the instructions and end up wasting my money, I do not understand why i have issues with the atlantis replacement .5 ohm atomizers. The original lasted 12 days before burning out.

Should i try a 3rd shop and get the same results? or switch to a kanger? Im trying to give aspire the benefit of the doubt but its kind of hard to after WASTING money on defective products. Keep in mind ive read pages of suggestions and watched several youtube videos to see if im doing something wrong and im doing everything as instructed and recommended.

I have one more .5ohm Atlantis Atomizer to install & test. I am switching to a Kanger tank today if i do not get a valid solution to the Atlantis Coil Issues. I am running a Joyetech evic vt at 20-25 watts. impossible to go to 30 without burning the cotton, please help.

Thank you & Best Regards.
  • I just took my lunch break and decided to turn the wattage up on my joyetech evic vt with an atlantis tank and .50 ohm atomizer. I set my mod to 35 watts at 4.18 volts which is 5 watts higher than recommended and everything was smooth (even with semi burnt cotton) After a success at 35 watts i decided to try 40 watts at 4.47 volts and i got even better flavor and slightly larger clouds.

My main concern is frying the .50 ohm atomizers at 35-40 watts.

What do you all think about running the Atlantis .50 ohm atomizers at 5-10 watts higher than recommended ?
  • Viruk said:

@DRDEEPGREEN
    You may shorten the life of your coils a little running them slightly high - but its not uncommon from what I can tell. If its working for you then keep on doing it :)

I run the Atlantis coil with the current juice (80% VG) in the Triton Tank at about 33-35W, that's rated at 25-30 and doing fine. There are examples of people running much higher settings above the recommended wattage.

A friend of mine runs the same coils in his Atlantis at about 40W - using a different juice, but I'm not sure of the PG/VG ratio he is using.

I wouldn't imagine you'd get any major problems going a little bit over - but dial it back if you notice any burnt hits.

Thank you for the input, but does it make sense to run the .50 ohm atomizers at a higher wattage to solve the burnt flavor and never-ending fried Atlantis coils?

Or does it make sense to switch up my tank to a different brand that wont burn my atomizers out within 24 hours?

Although the higher wattage seemed to of sold the problem that doesn't address the amount of atomizers i am going through on a daily basis, I really like the look of the Atlantis tank and enjoyed the performance of my very first original atomizer which came with the tank it doesn't seem as though i can find an atomizer as good as the original. all of the atomizers I've used are authentic and all of the scratch codes are verified.

Thank you for the help but im switching tanks as soon as i can. Going through $60 in atomizers over the last 2 weeks is completely unacceptable.

Thank you,

-Dwain
  • Seems like to heracles, maganus, matrix or delta 2 are the way to go. Too many bad reviews on the atlantis, should of done my homework first. I have no doubt that there are good atomizers out there but so far i have gone through a total of 14 of the .5 ohm atomizers all have lasted no more that 1-2 days max.
  • Try the. 3ohm coils and run them at 50w have had a lot better luck with them. I run mine at 50 to 60w depending on the juice.
  • How long approx. did the .3 ohm coil last for you? I've tried one of the .3 ohm coils and it was spitting at me like crazy at 52 watts, at least 30% of the juice in the tank ended up coating my throat. I was using 6mg berry intense by E Drip. The .3 ohm coil last approx. 2 days before the cotton was caramelized.

I appreciate the responses and am looking for better than luck or a band aid for my situation.

I just want a working tank that doesn't blow through replacement atomizers ever 1-2 days. Or is that possible with an Atlantis setup?

Majority of the forum threads on here seem to be negative regarding the Atlantis Atomizers.

Thanks again everyone for the positive vibes and positive input on my situation but today is the last day i am running anything from Aspire. I am switching to a Joyetech delta 2 tank this afternoon.

Best regards,

-Dwain
  • @DRDEEPGREEN You'll find that folks are much more likely to voice their displeasure with a device than their satisfaction.

I don't like the Subtank Mini, as the drip tip gets too hot. I'd trade mine for a Triton in a heartbeat.

I really like the Triton with the 1.8Ω coil. I run it between 11.5 and 17 watts, depending on the liquid. These coils last over four weeks with one of my liquids, and at least two weeks with the worst one. The vast majority of the leakage problems reported with the Triton can be traced to folks not tightening the coil into the bottom hardware enough. More force is required than the coils in the Atlantis or Nautilus series of tanks to seal the bottom connector of the coil. I think this is due to the coils in the Atlantis/Nautilus tightening more when the top hardware and glass is installed.

Hopefully you'll be satisfied with your next tank.
  • From what I have been hearing lately, The Aspire team needs to have a better handle on their coil problems. I for one did not care for the .4ohm Triton coil....it did some spitting...not a lot but still....I switched to the .5 Atlantis coil on the Triton and all is well. My personal view on the Triton coils is that they spit due to the SS coil wire. I have never had any spitting with a Kanthal coil....just my 2 cents. :)]
  • I've posted in another thread about 1.8 ohm coils, it seems that there is a HUGE bad batch/lot of coils that are charring/burning the cotton no matter how careful the user is.
    Primed cotton, filled tank, wait 1 hour, gently broke in coil on my SXmini at 10 watts with light 3 second draw waiting 1-2 minutes between vapes until using about 1ml then repeating process at 11 watts, then repeating at 12 watts, then finally trying to enjoy my juice at it's sweet spot of 12.5 watts. The coil that came with the tank lasted 2 weeks, these 5 pak replacements don't even make it through a single tank.

Here are my authentic 1.8 ohm 5-pack codes:
    09234 87108 40209 20714
    34703 59209 66710 98914
    00068 9583600058 91114
  • If it's worth anything, I'm a newbie to vaping got the eVic VT - last night everything was working fine, then all of a sudden it tasted like the atomizer was burnt up, so I changed it out (on the whole I did a number of things going through 4 atomizers, cleaning, etc..). Turns out, I had forgotten to shake up my juice once or twice when I refilled my tank... So today, I learned that the burnt taste was actually straight nicotine from the bottom of the bottle.

HA. Won't forget to shake my juice anymore....
  • What is priming? How do I do it?
  • @spacelady13 Priming is wetting your coils with juice before the first time you use it. Most folks will apply a few drops of their juice to the cotton inside the coil, and a drop through each of the wicking holes. They'll insert the coil, fill the tank, and vape a few times without firing the MOD. They may also let the tank sit for anywhere from a few minutes to overnight. They'll adjust the MOD to about 60% of the low end of the coil's rating when they start to vape from it. They slowly bring the MOD up to the 'sweet spot' for the juice/coil/tank/MOD combo they are using.
  • AHHHH! Thank you so much for this tip. I was having that burnt taste with a few of my atomizers until I tried this. Another question... If I "dry" hit my vape without priming it and get the burnt taste is that atomizer now ruined?
© 2017 Powered by Aspire