Cleaning Aspire Triton Tank

Does anyone know if there is a way to properly clean the Triton tank?

There's that little bit of liquid left at the bottom and I was looking to change flavors. There does not seem to be a way of cleaning it out other that the fill holes or removing the coil - neither of which is easy to flush and or dry. Obviously, I didn't want to force anything and break it. Am I missing something?

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
Comments
  • 34 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • @Viruk : you should be able to separate the drip tip from the upper airflow ring as well I think (haven't received mine yet either).
    Tap the different pieces in your hand to remove the maximum of water and blow in the airflows as well.
    A little bit of moisture should not be a problem, I wouldn't wait for a complete dry out.
    There is some water in most e-liquids anyway.
  • I still find that the best way to clean my clearos is in an Ultrasonic cleaner with a few drops of detergent..
    You should be able to find small ones around 40$.
  • GuzGuz
    edited July 2015 Vote Up1Vote Down
    Ok, cleaning my Triton wasn't has difficult as I thought it would be. I always rinse out new tanks before I use them.

You just need to alternate the fill, vape setting. I first set it to fill, and ran it under the faucet to fill up, then dumped it out. Repeated a couple of times. Then I set to vape, and flipped it over, and again ran it under the faucet to fill and then dump, repeat.

To dry, I'm always a bit impatient so I used a heat gun to warm it up to dry out the inside. WARNING: Doing so you can get the setup REALLY hot, if you're not careful. Again, alternating between fill and vape and pointing the heat gun to appropriate open end.

I think the smart thing to do is just set it aside to dry. If you are in a cool climate, maybe setting on a window sill in the sun will speed up the process (unless you have newer energy efficient windows, then outside in the sun).

Then I just set it aside to cool. Then filled it up and went to town ;)
    Tina
  • I couldn't see how to open it up completely to clean it either. There were no instructions in the box that I received - just the little note from the Aspire team so I may be missing something obvious...

My attempt at cleaning:
    took out the drip tip and set it to "fill" mode instead of vape mode
    emptied the juice that I could shake free
    unscrewed the bottom piece and removed the coil (its barely been used yet - so set it away from any water ready to reuse later)
    I rinsed the drip tip, main tank and bottom piece under running water for a good while, I left the air holes fully open to clear juice from inside there - I ran LOTS of water through the tank, while switching between filling and vaping settings
    I shook out all the water I could from all the pieces (then took the photo attached)
    I dried what I could with paper towels and then Q tips
    left it to air dry near an open window (its still drying!)

I don't want to force anything - but I wasn't sure if/how the tank came apart more than shown in the photos. I'm somewhat uncertain what to do differently - but as no-one else seems to have responded I thought I'd post what I'd tried.

If anyone can offer feedback or suggestions - or figures out anything else that has evaded me then please share :)
    triton pieces.jpeg
    1632 x 1224 - 633K
  • I've got a few moisture spots inside the tank now but there's not much more I can do about it - I managed to get some more drops out of the tank by blowing into one of the filling holes when the tank is in fill mode, some drops of water came out of the other one - but I'm resigning myself to the idea of letting it air dry now though
  • Wish I could be of help to y'all but I haven't received mine in the mail yet so I can't comment...Sorry! :((
  • well it looks like mine is getting close to dry - it seemed to dry better when placed upside down in the vape setting. It looks like the wicking holes are bigger than the filling holes, hopefully allowing more moisture to escape. I'm hoping to try it with some 50/50 juice soon :)
  • Would you guys recommend that I wash it first before using or I could just vape straight from the box?
  • Always wash it before first time use.
  • @Cegoca you're absolutely right - I hadn't spotted that the drip tip came out of the upper air flow ring - thanks for that.

I'll have a look at options for an ultrasonic cleaner - thanks for the tip :)
  • Look for one working at 40 kHz ;)
  • I just run hot water through mine and then let it air dry after a bit of violent shaking.
  • @NoSmoking To be a bit more specific I let the hot water from the faucet run down through the chimney and the top fill hole into the tank while the bottom airflow control is closed. When the tank is about 75% full I close the fill hole off and shake it furiously. Afterwards I just reopen it and empty it out as best I can. Finally I just have to let it air dry and due to my impatience I give it a few more violent shakes every now and then to help promote evaporation. If any of you find a better way please share.
  • NoSmoking said:

If any of you find a better way please share.

Just a few posts up !

• So...... apparently a major design flaw. And no response from Aspire means that they don't have an answer. This makes the Triton a MAJOR disappointment IMO. I guess my options are to have the taste of the last juice I used in with the current one forming a sometimes horrible concoction or to let it "air dry" for hours - all of which time it can't be used. Shame. I was so looking forward to the RTA too.....
  • I have to admit it is a difficult task to clean this tank - I'm struggling to get rid of the smell of the first juice I put in there - it was supposed to be vanilla with a hint of menthol - but it was more like super-menthol (without vanilla!). The tank had a good clean and has had almost 24 hours with a much sweeter juice in, then another clean - very extended rinsing with lots of water and I still smell the menthol on it - its soaking in warm water at the minute and I'm hoping that helps. I'm also switching out the coil - but hoping that this cleans it out.

Also - I'm not sure how an ultrasonic cleaner will manage with such small holes to access the inside of the tank - I'm a bit clueless about ultrasonic cleaners.
    @Cegoca did you get a Triton and if so, have you tried cleaning it in your ultrasonic cleaner yet?
  • @Cegoca
    Cegoca said:

Look for one working at 40 kHz ;)

Is it specifically one at 40kHz or is it the higher the better with frequencies? I spotted an inexpensive option at 42kHz...
  • @Viruk - Exactly what I'm talking about. Unless you use one and only one juice, this tank is essentially useless. I do appreciate what @Cegoca is saying.about the ultrasonic cleaner. But if you don't own one, then what? And wouldn't you still need the dry time? If you factor in the price of the tank and the cleaner, you be better off just buying a different / better brand tank, no?

Don't get me wrong - the tank vapes great. I think it's much better than the Atlantis. I was really excited when it was announced and loved the RTA aspect of it. But if the trade off is never being able to clean out the last flavor than the Atlantis beats the Triton hands down.

I'm still struggling with the idea that Aspire didn't realize this and am hoping that I'm just missing something really obvious. But if I'm not, this tank isn't worth the price I paid for shipping. Hopefully we will get a response soon as to what we are doing wrong.
  • edited July 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @JodyB

Here's a quick and easy way to clean it:

Take the tank apart, put the body in a small plastic bottle with warm water and a little detergent. Put the other parts, except for the coil, in another. Cap the bottles and shake for two to three minutes. Rinse the parts well under warm water. Put all the parts into a small pan with water and bring to a boil. Remove the parts with a set of tongs, and drain them. Set them on a cooling rack or a screen with good airflow. Put the body upside down on the screen or rack. The HOT parts should dry in about five minutes, and ready to re-use with another flavor.

Note, you can treat the Atlantis 2 the same way if you don't want to remove the glass from the upper hardware for cleaning.
    @JodyB Even if you only need one device, you will have to clean it regularly anyway. I know when my tank have passed the ultrasound cleaner, they will be proper. No rubbing or scrubbing in small corners needed. ;)

@Viruk A 42kHz will do the job nicely too :)

• @Cegoca The ones for dentures work well too. They just take a little longer. They're less than $5.00 USD on E-Bay.
  • Just a quick update - the canned computer dusting air works nice. The little straw fits nicely into the fill hole and a blast or two get the remaining water out after a good rinse like @NoSmoking, @Old_Salt and others mention above. While it's not my first choice, the tank IS good enough that I'll deal with it.

I'd still like to see Aspire correct this. Can someone say TRITON II ? Maybe a bit too early for that..... ;)
  • it would be nice to see if Aspire have any advice regarding cleaning or maintenance, @Tina do you have any suggestions?

I'm not sure if there will be a manual with the Triton when the official release arrives (I already have friends wanting to buy them when available!) - but I'm still unsure if I'm missing something obvious or whether we'll all collectively need to share our tips regarding what works and what doesn't :)

It would be great to see a video manual like @charlzrocks suggested here: https://forums.aspirecig.com/discussion/26862/triton-video-manual-is-needed#latest
    Dear All,
    Thank you so much for trusting me and supporting aspire.
    we need insure that it is truly top filling tank with no leaking,the bottom part (not the part coil screwed into) is not removable,it is a little difficult to clean the inside part of the tank.
    Sincerely sorry for the inconvenience!
    All above suggestion for cleaning the triton tank can be took into account.
    We will pass your trouble about the clean to our products development department,in future,for our new products,we will take the convenience using into our first consideration.

Best Wish
    Tina
  • @tina At the moment, what is Aspire's suggestion on how to clean the tank?
  • @kaybe2310 as my last post said that all above other users suggestion(@Viruk or @NoSmoking ) for cleaning the tank can be took into account.
  • I do tend to use a near 100% Neutral Grain Alcohol, i.e. Everclear, to clean with. This is because it evaporates quickly when it is trying to dry. It gets rid of machine oil and residue from e-liquid as well as old lingering flavors. It also sanitizes safely. Not sure how this will help but it is a good tip for cleaning.
  • GuzGuz
    edited July 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Viruk said:

I have to admit it is a difficult task to clean this tank - I'm struggling to get rid of the smell of the first juice I put in there - it was supposed to be vanilla with a hint of menthol - but it was more like super-menthol (without vanilla!). The tank had a good clean and has had almost 24 hours with a much sweeter juice in, then another clean - very extended rinsing with lots of water and I still smell the menthol on it - its soaking in warm water at the minute and I'm hoping that helps. I'm also switching out the coil - but hoping that this cleans it out.

Also - I'm not sure how an ultrasonic cleaner will manage with such small holes to access the inside of the tank - I'm a bit clueless about ultrasonic cleaners.
    @Cegoca did you get a Triton and if so, have you tried cleaning it in your ultrasonic cleaner yet?

I just received my Triton (still admiring the craftsmanship) and haven't used it yet.

One thing I learned with a Nautilus Mini that had a flavor "stuck" in it. Try a baking soda and water solution and let it soak for a bit. Rinse, rinse, rinse. Then set it outside in the sun for a day (UV rays really take the flavor out of the food grade silicon gaskets). If there is still any smell left, then an ultrasonic cleaner with Isopropyl Alcohol with a THROUGH rise of water after should remove all smells, taste of an old flavor.

Actually, ultrasonic cleaners are REALLY good at getting things with small intricate surfaces clean. Which is why jewelers use them to clean jewelry.

• I finishing my tank of Red Astaire on my Triton (1.8 ohms coil) ... next challenge : total cleanup (or not ?) with my ultrasonic cleaner ... :)]
  • Guz said:

... Nautilus Mini ... food grade silicon gaskets...

My first order with Aspire included 10 of each silicon gaskets, and a couple of connectors with insulating rings for the Nautilus and the Atlantis 2. At $1.00 each I thought they'd be worth having around as the local shops don't have them in stock.

I know, off topic but I thought it worth a mention.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire