Triton

Can't wait to add this to my Aspire collection I think I own every tank that Aspire has made what's people's thoughts on it who already own it thanks in advance
Comments
  • 41 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I used the Triton all day yesterday - I had other tanks with me for a friend who is still smoking to try out, but I used the triton the most by a huge margin.

No leaking issues, no gurgles, no problems - just huge clouds all day, running on the Aspire CF Mod.

The tank was kept upright over night, on the CF Mod; this morning however, on the same CF Mod I have been getting a little bit of spitting and the first few pulls of the day really didn't produce much vapour. The spitting was particularly noticeable towards the end of a longer (lung) hit. I've shaken it out, cleaned out the drip tip and upper section and its largely settled down after using for a while, but I'd appreciate any feedback from anyone who may have experienced similar spitting from tanks - it could be that I'm doing something wrong or missing something obvious, particularly first thing in a morning.

The tank is firing well again now and producing great vapour - I'm pretty confident that any issues are related to me and not the equipment as I haven't been vaping long - but thought I'd share my thoughts and I'd be happy to hear any suggestions or feedback or tips :)
    Tina
  • I vaped 3-4 tanks with the 1.8 ohm coil. All was going fine and then it flooded really. I wound up loosing a tank of juice. I didn't know what the proper method if any there is to access the coil when the tank is full.

The inability to clean the Triton and now with it flooding is quickly making this Atty a paperweight.
  • @Viruk I agree with you. It's not as easy to clean as the Nautilus, however nothing is perfect and I think that for all of it's features and usability the fact that it is a bit tough to clean isn't a big deal.
  • I suppose this is the problem ?

When the tank is not even completely full, if you put it upside down, the liquid reaches the upper holes :

drysprocket
    Triton upside down.jpg
    1536 x 2048 - 195K
  • no-one owns it yet I believe - the first lot have shipped today from the giveaway so I'm sure some of us will be able to let you know in the next few days :)
  • mine arrived today - I've just tested it for the first time with a new juice and I'm not really feeling that juice...

First impression of the Triton itself is good, but some bottles of liquid may make it hard to use the top fill holes as some bottles I've seen will be too fat to get in there, but the one I used today had a very thin drip top which worked well.

The adjustable airflow is really good - but I started on the 1.8 ohm coil and haven't gone for any mega lung hits yet. I only have 1.2% nicotine liquid at the minute and want to pick up some lower nicotine liquid before testing the lower resistance coil.

The build quality is good, I've not noticed any problem with flooding - but the first few hits didn't taste very good even though I left it to soak for a good 10-15 minutes - as I mentioned before though, that may be me just getting used to a new juice.

The package arrived as predicted by UPS and was in good condition, there was even a nice note from the Aspire team - thanks again for this Aspire :)

Those are just a few very brief (and not very thought out!) initial thoughts - I'll try to post something more after work tomorrow if I have time
  • Ok - day two and I've hardly used the Triton yet. I wasn't feeling the juice and its so hot here at the minute - around 33 degrees Celsius - that the viscosity of the juices seems to be affected. This is causing me trouble on all the tanks I've tried today, two nautilus tanks (one brand new yesterday and one I've been using for about 5 weeks), an iSub G tank and the Triton - and they are all having issues at the minute.

I think this has to be temperature related as when I was in an air conditioned environment (at work and in the car) I didn't have this trouble.

I can't post further thoughts on the Triton yet - but will do at some point soon, in the meantime if anyone has any suggestion that can help continue vaping in hot weather then I'd love to hear it :)
  • You don't exactly mention the kind of "temperature related viscosity problems" you had ?
    Leakage, gurgles, dry hits, overheating, ... ?
  • @Cegoca Well I wanted to give it a fair test before saying too much - but I was getting flooding, gurgling and leaking using 70/30 PG/VG juice. I got a mouthful of juice unlike anything I've had before (but again - I got this from one of my nautilus tanks too yesterday) and when I turned the tank around to clean it up more juice came out - it was much thinner than usual and I'm hoping that as the temperature drops these issues settle down.

I think its relevant to say that my other tanks had the same problem - but we've had some rain and its slightly cooler this evening (it was almost 30 C outside at midnight last night), and it was the hottest July day ever in the UK yesterday apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33324881
    That meant that a better test was out of the question yesterday.

Tonight I'm going to clean everything out and try as the evening gets cooler - maybe with a higher VG mix to counter the thinning effect of the heat.

• I received my Triton Yesterday and I am trying to figure out how to take it apart to clean the inside of the tank. The exterior felt and smelled like machining oil and I am concerned the interior metal parts are the same. There doesn't appear to be a way to open the tank to allow cleaning and drying.
    If anyone knows the solution please post it here. Thank you.
  • @Ph0t0man I'm not sure either - I've put a post on someone else's request for the same info over at https://forums.aspirecig.com/discussion/26860/cleaning-aspire-triton-tank?Sort=date
  • I received my Triton yesterday, and this is my first impression of the tank. First, I have to explain that I am more of a flavor chaser than a cloud chaser, so most sub-Ohm tanks aren't for me. This tank seems very well-made and solid, and all the pieces slide nicely. I tried the .4 Ohm coil first, and definitely had to wait a couple hours for the coil to soak up anough juice to work properly. It does produce nice flavor, and I absolutely love the fully adjustable airflow. I did, however, run into some issues with leaking from the bottom air holes. Still, a really great tank - very quiet, even with the air holes open all the way.
    Today I swapped out the coil for the 1.8 Ohm, to compare it to the Nautilus. The Nautilus is my all time favorite tank up to this point, and I own two of them. I have tried multiple tanks, and was never able to duplicate the flavor. Until now. Even with the 1.8 Ohm coil, this thing produces great clouds and tastes great! I will have to wait overnight to see if I have any leaking issues with this coil, but so far so good.
    All in all, it seems to be a really nice tank, and built to be more durable than the Nautilus.
    Some drawbacks that could be improved? As I mentioned, the leaking issue. The tank doesn't really come apart easily, so cleaning might be difficult as well. And I would like to see the bottom airflow adjustment a bit tighter, so it doesn't move on its own. Also, be careful of over-tightening the unit, as the coil will no longer align with the holes and produce dry hits.
    That's about all I have to say. Overall, a nice tank and it's nice that Aspire is putting some thought into tank design. I think if they take a few of these hints and update to a version 2 Triton, it could be the best tank ever made. Thank you Aspire, for running this contest and giving me the opportunity to try it. :)
  • @watkijw when you say it doesn't come apart easily, do you mean the bottom piece coming off the tank? Or have you actually taken the tank apart?
    I found cleaning was a case of just flushing the tank with lots of water as I didn't want to force anything apart with the tank when I wasn't sure if it was supposed to come apart...

I've got an image of mine in three pieces over at https://forums.aspirecig.com/discussion/26860/cleaning-aspire-triton-tank?Sort=date
    The coil isn't in the picture as I took that out for reuse and didn't want to get it wet
  • Viruk said:

@Cegoca Well I wanted to give it a fair test before saying too much - but I was getting flooding, gurgling and leaking using 70/30 PG/VG juice. I got a mouthful of juice unlike anything I've had before (but again - I got this from one of my nautilus tanks too yesterday) and when I turned the tank around to clean it up more juice came out - it was much thinner than usual and I'm hoping that as the temperature drops these issues settle down.

I think its relevant to say that my other tanks had the same problem - but we've had some rain and its slightly cooler this evening (it was almost 30 C outside at midnight last night), and it was the hottest July day ever in the UK yesterday apparently http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-33324881
    That meant that a better test was out of the question yesterday.

Tonight I'm going to clean everything out and try as the evening gets cooler - maybe with a higher VG mix to counter the thinning effect of the heat.

OK, it's been very hot on the continent as well, but as I use high VG ratio liquids (15/85 PG/VG), haven't notice much change in the use of my Atlantis (no Triton yet).
    Except perhaps for the tanks that can sometimes get very hot !
  • Right then - all cleaned out and dried out ok. Refilled with 50/50 and still had some gurgling and spitting. I used the trick of some tissue over the end and shaking out the excess juice - more than I expected came through but its starting to vape nicely. I don't know if I over filled it - I filled to near the top of the glass section - but now I've cleared some of that gurgling its starting to taste really nice.

I'm not going to get near this point in the next 24 hours, but I don't know how low the tank can go before it should be topped up with more juice, but the top fill should be quite nice for just topping up the tank when it gets low. I don't want to fire it when there's not enough juice in there though.

Another note on filling the tank - the juice I tried when it arrived had a long tip on the bottle so filling was fine. I do have other bottles with quite a fat tip which would make filling much harder. The juice I tried this evening is kind of in the middle of those and I just about managed to fill it without making a mess - but I had a drop or two around the edge that didn't quite go in the filling hole, this was quite hard to clean out because of the tight space - I couldn't fit a cotton bud in there and it was quite fiddly getting a folded piece of tissue in there to clean it up.

Its possible to get a mouth to lung hit when the top air flow is completely closed and the bottom is barely open at all, but when opening it up completely it's possible to lung hit nicely - I understand the comments others have made about airflow. I can't compare it to an Atlantis tank as I don't have one yet and haven't used one - but with the bottom completely open and the top closed the airflow is slightly less than you get with an iSub G tank, but open up the top airflow as well and there's definitely way more than the iSub.
    The option to go from mouth to lung right through to lung hits on one tank is nice, but I don't have the juice for that just yet. I need some lower nicotine juice before I start lung hitting too much and dropping the lower resistance coil in there.

This tank has definitely given me a good first few hits this evening and I'll post some more when I've had chance to use it throughout the day tomorrow :)
  • Which coil did you use just now ?
  • OK, I think it was worth mentioning again (unless I missed it somewhere) ;)
  • OK - today's brief update...

I've had a lot of gurgling and some leaking issues with the Triton today. Also the first juice I tried in there (that I didn't like) seems to have tainted the cotton in the 1.8ohm coil. I tried to clear the gurgle and found juice coming out of the bottom air slot - it is still quite warm here today but I'm not having problems with the three other tanks I have (2x Nautilus tanks and an iSub G tank) - I'm not sure what I could be doing wrong to keep getting this gurgling and spit back.

After work I went to the local B&M and picked up some much lower nicotine juice which is another step higher VG than before (20/80 PG/VG) and is more of a cloud chaser juice. I also picked up a 0.5ohm (20-30 Watts) Atlantis coil as a spare - but first I'll be using the 0.4 ohm (25-30 Watts) coil that came with the Triton. I'll post a picture in a little while, but the Atlantis coil has smaller wicking holes than the Triton coil so I'll see how that compares in the coming days.

I need to wash out the current juice and let everything dry then hopefully I'll have a better update about a sub ohm coil later - I had my first go on an Atlantis mega in the shop to try out the juice I ended up buying - that was really good - if the Triton can match that I'll be really happy, if it can surpass that it will be even better!
  • oh - I tried this on the triton https://forums.aspirecig.com/discussion/192/quick-fix-to-gurgling-and-e-juice-come-into-mouth#latest (I didn't even shake it as much as in the video) but had further leakage from the lower air hole.

My Triton is currently still drying out - so will hopefully get to try some sub-ohm vaping on it later :)
  • right then - I went out for the evening, left the tank to dry out, got some lower nicotine and higher VG juice as mentioned above - and wow - just wow!

Extremely smooth, massive clouds and its like using a new tank. I have none of the leakage or gurgling I experienced before. Its late and I have a long drive tomorrow but I'll update more again soon - but this tank feels like it was worth the wait to hit the combination that works!
  • @Ph0t0man did you try the 0.4ohm coil yet?

I had a lot of issues with the 1.8ohm coil with flooding, leaking and gurgling - I'm still not sure whether this was just me, bad luck, the coil itself, wrong VG/PG ratio or something else entirely.

What I do know though is that my experience has been completely different using the 0.4ohm coil - I'm halfway through my second tank of juice with this coil and its been really good. I didn't have any issues this morning - although the tank was stored upright last night quite close to full - and I've been hitting it all day (although I'm thinking I'd better stick to my nautilus at work as the clouds from the Triton aren't so popular with one of my colleagues!)
  • Ph0t0man said:

I didn't know what the proper method if any there is to access the coil when the tank is full.

Turn it upside down and unscrew the base.
    What did you vape on before trying the Triton ?
  • @Viruk Sorry for the late response - I was talking about removing the base from the tank, and not forcing anything apart.
    I am wondering if there are consistency issues with the coils? My experience seems to be opposite of yours. The .4 Ohm coil leaked and spit, while the 1.8 Ohm coil has been perfect, and I am on my fifth tank with that coil. I did notice that the coils spit and gurgle more if you exceed the recommended wattage, even though you get better clouds. I prefer 16 watts on the 1.8 Ohm, but it does perform better at 13 watts.
    This is kind of a tricky tank, but I am having fun experimenting and learning all the nuances. I have always used an 80% VG blend, so I can't really speak to those issues.
    I thought the tank rinsed out pretty well with warm water, and shaking out the excess. I let it air dry for about an hour and changed flavor, with much success.
    I think I will try a .5 Ohm coil from an Atlantis II after this 1.8 Ohm coil finally gives out. The thing just keeps going though! LOL
  • @watkijw no problem - I've since read that I wasn't missing anything obvious and that the tank doesn't come apart further to avoid leaking!

It may be a coil consistency issue - but its hard for me to say. I've been using the 0.4 ohm coil for days now and have just refilled for the third time. I've not really used a sub ohm tank much before this and I have to admit I'm actually quite enjoying it. I didn't pick up the Atlantis because I wasn't looking for a lung hitting tank, but lung hitting has been my biggest success with the Triton. I do however have a nautilus on hand for mouth to lung hits (I have that with me at work too) but today I've found that I was almost exclusively hitting the Triton!

Back to the 1.8 ohm coil in the Triton - I was getting the spit and gurgle at 10W so I don't think I was over-doing that part. I've been firing the 0.4ohm coil at between 25-30W, but mainly at 30W and its been fine. The juice I have at the minute is much thicker due to the higher VG content so that must be making a difference.

I'm interested in other people's opinions, failures and successes too though :)
  • Ph0t0man said:

The inability to clean the Triton and now with it flooding is quickly making this Atty a paperweight.

I'm kind of leaning in the same direction. I like the tank - when it works as one would expect. Today it just leaked all over the place. Everything was tight. I think it came out the lower air vent yet it is unclear how. Oddly, I couldn't even duplicate it.

The inability to clean it is simply poor engineering.

I had such high hopes for this unit but its many quirks and flaws are starting to make it more trouble than it may be worth. I'm still hanging on and hoping the RTA will make it worth while but I suspect it's destined to end up on eBay to try and recoup the shipping costs.

• @JodyB which coil were you using when you had leaking issues?

I wouldn't go so far as to say there is an inability to clean it - it's just more effort than something that can be completely unscrewed like the Nautilus.

I think I'm just going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and see how that works for cleaning - that will be useful for all tanks so its not just a purchase for the Triton
  • Jeez...all this info and I just got mine today! Still wondering what juice to try first! It won't be till tomorrow late before I can give a review as I need to buy some more juice.
  • Viruk said:

@JodyB which coil were you using when you had leaking issues?

I wouldn't go so far as to say there is an inability to clean it - it's just more effort than something that can be completely unscrewed like the Nautilus.

I think I'm just going to buy an ultrasonic cleaner and see how that works for cleaning - that will be useful for all tanks so its not just a purchase for the Triton

The 0.4 leaks. But not consistently which is strange. As best as I can gather, it's leaking through the coil, into the bottom and out of the air holes. Of the two units I have, one experiences this significantly more than the other but they both do it.

And you are correct. Inability is perhaps too strong of a word. The tank can be cleaned. Every other tank I've encountered is simply unscrewed, rinsed (or washed, if you prefer) dried and reassembled. All left over juice is gone and all water is removed. If you took your time, you'd still be done in under 5 minutes. Here are the instructions that were sent to me by Aspire via email (I believe it is nothing more than an edited 'cut and paste' of what @Old_Salt wrote in a different topic):

For how to cleaning the tank: please try the following tips:
    1.took out the drip tip and set it to "fill" mode instead of vape mode
    2.emptied the juice that I could shake free
    3.unscrewed the bottom piece and removed the coil (its barely been used yet - so set it away from any water ready to reuse later)
    4. rinsed the drip tip, main tank and bottom piece under running water for a good while, left the air holes fully open to clear juice from inside there - ran LOTS of water through the tank, while switching between filling and vaping settings
    5. shook out all the water I could from all the pieces
    6. dried what I could with paper towels and then Q tips
    7.left it to air dry near an open window

So, I guess I need an open window. I live in the North East, what happens in January? Obviously, I'm being sarcastic - just trying to make a point.

I saw someone mention in another post to just leave remaining water in the tank since juice contains water anyway. I have checked all of my labels, not one lists water as an ingredient. I also don't think watered down juice is an acceptable answer.

As I've mentioned before, I don't hate the tank. In fact, I think it vapes well. But does it vape so much better than other tanks that it's worth the hassle? I don't know. My RTA has shipped and I'm looking forward to it. I'm hoping that it is so awesome that the tank quirks are an acceptable trade off. My fingers are crossed and I'll certainly let you know what I find.
  • NoSmoking said:

@Viruk I agree with you. It's not as easy to clean as the Nautilus, however nothing is perfect and I think that for all of it's features and usability the fact that it is a bit tough to clean isn't a big deal.

I agree. While I find the cleaning annoying, it's certainly not the end of the world. The leaking, however, is unacceptable.

© 2017 Powered by Aspire