New Aspire CF VV+ User Needs Help!

This past Thursday, I purchased the Aspire CF VV+ kit that came with the USB charger, the wall adapter plug and five coils.

I purchased this as a smoking cessation aid; I have been a smoker the past five years (roughly). For the past year or two, I have been explicitly smoking John MacDonald Superslim Menthols, which are longer, slimmer cigarettes (a.k.a. bitchsticks) and have 20 in a pack. I usually smoke about a pack a day, or at least 20ish smokes in a 24-hour period.

I decided to go with this one as the shop I purchased it at said it was the best of the best and I've heard good reviews. However, now that I'm using it, I'm a bit concerned and confused and need some more information.

Given that I typically smoke menthols, at first I got just a menthol flavour but found it to be way too minty and decided I needed a tobacco taste as well. So, I bought the "Fresh Tobacco" flavour in the 50PG/50VG formula to mix with the menthol. At first I mixed half menthol and half tobacco, but it was still too minty so as my liquid tube got lower I added more tobacco but there is still likely some menthol in there.

I have a couple of issues & questions:

1. I find that this is actually not similar at all to a regular cigarette (which it may not be intended to be but I initially was under the impression that it was). I do get the throat hit which is important, but it really doesn't mimic a cigarette. I find that my throat gets irritated and somewhat itchy and I cough a bit (especially when exhaling). After 10 minutes or so of smoking it it seems to get better but I'm just wondering if this is normal for a smoker while switching to the e-cig? Personally right now I feel like it doesn't feel like it will improve at all, but I've only been using it for a few days and switching back between regular smokes and the e-cig.

2. I went to the store I bought it from and was notified that even though I spent well over $100 their policy is usually only to provide refunds if it is defective and not "medical" - the employee there when I went back to ask/get more information on why my throat was irritated said I should check with my doctor that I'm not allergic to Propylene Glycol. Personally, I understand (legality-wise) why he said this but I don't think I'm allergic to it; I know PG is used in a plethora of household items (i.e. soaps, lotions, deodorants, etc.) and I've never been allergic to anything or had an allergic reaction to anything so I feel as though if I've had no indication of any allergies in the past that's likely not the case (although I will say I understand it is different this way as I am inhaling it). I don't seem to have any other side effects really other than while I'm actually smoking it.

3. I'm not getting any tobacco taste at all (which may just be the e-liquid but it is Gold Seal). Is this perhaps because I mixed it with the menthol and it's overpowering it?

Like I said, the guy at the store suggested I visit my doctor but then also said it took him about 2-3 weeks for his throat to get used to his e-cigarettes so I'm just wondering if it's common for people switching from cigarettes to e-cigarettes to experience irritation in their throat and if so if it's only temporary?

Also - last question - could someone please explain what the voltage and airflow does on it? I understand the airflow makes the hole bigger or smaller, but if it's on a smaller hole does that mean you have to suck harder to get it out? And I don't understand what the voltage does at all.

Please help me!
Comments
  • 4 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Dear ynafets,
    Thank you for supporting aspire!
    We are sorry to tell you that two flavor e-juice can not be mixed.
    "I do get the throat hit which is important, but it really doesn't mimic a cigarette. I find that my throat gets irritated and somewhat itchy and I cough a bit (especially when exhaling)" We suggested:before taking puffs,please drink some water.
    What's more,while using,users coughs often or the cough doesn't go away after several days ,it must be something with the e-juice,there maybe some content inside the e-juice irritate user's throat.We suggest change another flavor e-juice.
    At last,Here are our chief engineer suggestion to use our products correctly:

For our 1.6ohm coils,the reasonable voltage is:3.3V-4.2V,use it with normal e-go battery,if customer use wattage adjustable battery,the wattage should be 4.5W-6.5W
    For our 1.8ohm coils,the reasonable voltage is:4.2V-4.8V,if customer use wattage adjustable battery,the wattage should be 7W-10W
    What's more,high proportion of VG e-juice or high sugar/sweetener content e-juice will also affect the coils life.we suggest to use our products with VG proportion less than 50%(we usually use 0%-20% in our daily test using)

After refilling,customer need let the tank sit for awhile, to allow the coil to soak up the liquid, some people add some liquid to the coil before installing. After it sits for a little bit, you should take a few pulls, or dry hits.
    What you do is take a hit, but do not press the battery button. This pulls the liquid into the coil.

What's more,please refilling the tank in time before the e-juice inside the tank completely used up to avoid burn taste.
    Every refilling,customer should let the device stand up for 3-5 minutes.

For the adjustable airflow system,users can adjust the airflow by changing the airflow hole,bigger airflow hole means large airflow,smaller airflow hole means smaller airflow,users can change the airflow hole as they liked.

Have a nice day!
  • Some suggestions:

Don't really think of e-cigs as a cigarette replacement, more like a nicotine replacement therapy (NRT). The nice thing is that you don't have to use that same flavor as you used to smoke previously. Actually quite a lot of people have found that finding a new unique flavor helps to disassociate your previous habit. And that if they stick with a new 'fun' flavor for quite a while, then on a whim pick up an actual cigarette, they realize how nasty they are and avoid 'analog' cigarettes.

If you try to find an exact replica flavor of your old cigarette, you might be more inclined to just drop the e-cigs and go back to the analog since the taste is the same.

As for the sore throat. I think most of us have gone through the initial sore or irritated throat when changing over. As Tina said, drink more water. As the PG, or is it the VG (I can't remember) acts as a desiccant and dries out tissue. After a while, your body adapts.

I've only known one person that just couldn't make the transition. Which was weird, as they tried my setup (Nautilus mini, VV+ battery) for a couple of vapes over a couple of days and LOVED IT. I helped them get the exact same setup, and the exact same juice (flavor, nic level) but when they vaped, they just kept coughing. Even when I handed them back my setup, they kept on coughing. Even weirder, they could still do the cheap e-cigs that look like cigs with no problem. Never could figure out what changed and why they couldn't transition. We eventually sold the setup to someone that really enjoys the setup.

As for the airholes, Aspire gives you a choice on what resistance of airflow you prefer. Some people like to mimic the inhalation resistance of a real cigarette. Others like as low of inhalation resistance. (for some reason I've noticed in the USA the west coast folks like low resistance, east coast folks like the high resistance). So you can play around with the 4 different openings to find the opening you like the best.

The variable voltage lets you control the amount of vapor production, within limits. You want to use the recommended voltage range printed on the coil packs. One thing that helps is to use the lower range of the coil on the smaller airholes, and move up in voltage with the larger airholes. But again, you can play around with it, till you find what works good for you.

In a weird way, you have to many choices with your setup. Some people get overloaded with it, others thrive on it ;)
  • Thank you both very much for your responses!

Guz, I actually was just talking yesterday about how I should perhaps get a fruity flavour or at least something different so I am disassociating myself with my usual taste of cigarettes, which seems like a great idea.
    The other thing is, up above Tina mentioned "two flavour e-juice cannot be mixed," which is a big piss-off to me as the girl who sold it to me at the store said "of course you can!" when I asked.
    So currently I have the menthol flavour (18mg nicotine) and tobacco (also 18mg) in my ecig - but I haven't been using it the past two days as I'm waiting to go back to the store and purchase a different flavour and lower nicotine content.
    I was suggested to be on 18 after doing a bit of research and also the girl at the store told me since I was about a pack a day that would likely be my best bet. However - as mentioned above, the cigarettes I smoke not only come in a 20 pack, but they are also significantly smaller than your basic cigarette (there is much less tobacco it seems). So now I'm thinking I should maybe purchase a new flavour in the 12mg because my pack of smokes don't equally compare to a regular size, 25-pack of smokes.
    I'm really hoping for this to work as I want to quit and I love my little e-cig pack, it just made me uneasy when he said I may be allergic to PG... but to be honest, not that I'm a doctor, but having no allergies previously in my life and being exposed to PG before (albeit not smoking it) I feel confident that that's not what it is; it likely just is that my throat is not getting accustomed to it as quickly as I had hoped. I also heard at the store that it can be worse if you switch back and forth from your e-cig to analog etc.
    I plan on going back today to purchase a lower nicotine and new flavour so here's hoping it works out this time! :)
© 2017 Powered by Aspire