New Nutilus BVC coils with the larger holes?????

Just received my latest batch of BVC coils (Nautilus) and I noticed they have made the 4 juice feed holes much larger?

I am using 2 of these new ones in each of my Nautilus devices and I think Aspire have got it wrong - I have not had any flooding yet but they both have a susceptibility to gurgling - especially when the device has been in my shirt pocket and got warm - which I have always done on the original coils with no problem?

I have yet to try them in my selection of Nautilus Mini devices so I am keeping my fingers crossed they are not worse in the smaller atomisers!

This worries me as I remember the original BDC (non Nautilus) coils with 4 holes used to flood so they were quickly updated to have only 2 - they have gone in the opposite direction with these?

In the past they updated the BDC (non Nautilus) to BVC which was supposed to be an improvement - unfortunately for me they only flood and gurgle when used in my ET-S atomisers (which I used for a long time before I changed to Nautilus devices) and I was going to give them to a friend but it's no good doing this if they are going to flood/gurgle all the time - NOT a good introduction to vaping at all!

I just don't understand the logic - the BVC coils generally get excellent reviews globally and now Aspire have changed them, and not for the better, so myself and numerous other people I note on some of the forums are getting problems - WHY!?

Aspire, please make your design team learn the old saying - IF IT'S NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT!

All in all, with the mediocre quality of my new ESP 30W and the arbitrary changes to these coils I guess I may be looking for a new supplier for my standard vaping requirements in the not too distant future.
Comments
  • 23 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • IF IT'S NOT BROKEN DON'T FIX IT!
    I totally agree with you. I've used the BVC's since they came out and I haven't been able to find anything better but since they changed the design they suck. From what I understand there was allot of people worried about the ceramic used in them so they changed them to cotton. What I can't figure out is why they totally stopped production of the ceramic version considering how good they were. Its making me wonder after all this time being told its safe, if in fact they did find out the ceramic was harmful. Otherwise why wouldn't they offer both designs?

I get nothing but gurgle with these new BVC's as well and it seems they last no where near as long once they start gurgling. I've tinkered with one and found a way to fix the gurgle that's worked so far for me and once I got the gurgle issue fixed they last a little longer but still not as long as the ceramic version.

I found that by taking two old BVC's and using the o-rings off the bottom, Slip the two o-rings over a new coil and slide them down over the big holes. Now they appear to cover the holes completely but there is still a slight gap at the top. With the o-rings in place the coil now wicks better and I don't get dry hits even though it looks like the holes are completely blocked off. Just make sure to let it sit to soak up as always

• There may be bad chemicals leaching out of that gasket and into your juice.
  • What a cracking idea - I will be trying that later when I have to refill, thanks for the tip.

I had actually been thinking about this and was wondering if I could close off 2 of the feed holes but your solution seems much simpler! Not a stranger to restricting air flow with O rings or packing out the 510 centre pin various ways in the past so I might have got there eventually!

Is it just me or do these new BVC coils (cotton) lack flavour compared to the originals?

I definitely think Aspire have taken a backward step altering these UNLESS, as you say, they now realise their ceramic wick was NOT as safe as they continually affirmed.

It could of course be a marketing ploy hoping to increase sales turnover because users have to replace the coils more often - trouble with that scenario is if they only last half as long BUT you lose half of your customers then there is no advantage AND those former customers are not looking to buy any other Aspire products, existing or new!

We have seen the some good progression with vaping products - adjustable air flow and self adjusting connectors etc. are becoming the norm - so maybe the next thing should be adjustable e-liquid flow as there are so many variables that affect this - ambient temperature, viscosity of the liquid, air flow etc. - so a "one size fits all" does not really work.

I notice there is quite a bit of discussion regarding high VG content liquid compatibility with Atlantis and Nautilus tanks so it might just be that Aspire decided to up the capability of the Nautilus coils for higher VG -who knows - maybe they will tell us.
  • There may be bad chemicals leaching out of that gasket and into your juice.
    I thought about that when trying to figure out a way to restricted those holes. Those o-rings are directly off a BVC coil. They are already exposed to the juice at the bottom of the coil. Look at your BVC and you will see it on there. If they leach chemicals then its getting in everyones juice that uses BVC's. I want to say they are silicone. The same thing that big gasket that seals the glass tank to the base is made of. As far as heat I'm sure if heat was going to cause leaching of chemicals it would also do so from the bottom o-ring on the coil and that big gasket that seals the tank. I do sometimes get my tank hot.

So I guess if the ceramic doesn't kill me now the o-rings will lol. I use a Iclear 16 tank at work it has a plastic tank. It also has a rubber silicone thing right on top of the coil and I know that thing gets hot so I wonder if that leaches chemicals too. I guess it be safer to go back to smoking.

Also how many of us heat up stuff in a microwave in a plastic container and not really think about if the plastic container is microwave safe or not? Do you realize there are some plastic bowls that can leach chemicals when heated.

I'm not going to say those o-ring wont leach chemicals (who knows they probably do) but I'm sure I'll get exposed to chemicals in other ways during my life. I just don't want to get paranoid over it.

Now if they would sell Ceramic BVC's again with the smaller holes then I wouldn't have to stick o-rings on there just to be able to vape them.

Here's a idea Aspire :idea: ...... Sell Both.... Ceramic BVC's and the all new Organic Cotton BVC's...... Problem solved.

Also there should be somewhere put on the box of new coils saying if its cotton or not. I've had several vendors tell me they have the original ceramic coils and they turn out to be cotton.

I apologize.... My nicotine fix has been tampered with... I get a little cranky
  • +1 on that thegeodeman2005 - pretty much any device I can think of has O-rings in contact with the liquid somewhere - so if they are leeching bad stuff we have already been contaminated!

I have tried your mod on my 2 full size Nautilus and all seems good so far - I will have to try it on the N Mini when they next need a new coil - just hope it still works the same for those. (cos size does matter!)
  • I haven't used my mini's in a while because I was constantly having to fill them lol. So I don't know how these new coils work in them yet. I'll have to try it and you are right I'm sure the size will matter. If you try it in the mini you'll have to let me know how it works out.
  • I only just noticed I spelled Nautilus incorrectly in the heading - oh well....

Yes, the minis do run out of liquid rather quickly which is a shame because I think they have the edge over the full size version and the air control is much better engineered.

Anyway, will update you as soon as I try the new coil with the mod in a Mini (soon)
  • I pulled one of my mini Nautilus out and put one of these new coils in it. I put o-rings on the coil. So far no gurgle. It has good vapor production and flavor. Chain vaping it doesn't produce a dry hit and I'm seeing bubbles rise up so I know its wicking. I've got it down to half a tank and still no gurgle.
  • OK, thanks, that's good to know then - I will confirm it myself shortly as I think one of the 3 minis is just about due for a new coil.

The mod is still working well on the 2 Nautilus devices although one of them has once or twice had that pre-gurgle sound (I am sure you know what I mean) but it has not developed further thankfully.

To my horror I just unpacked the K1 I received recently and GUESS what - It is fitted with a an updated (small) BVC with four very large holes in the side - so they have changed BOTH types - and there is NO CHANCE of getting any O-rings around those as there is not enough clearance between the coil and the tank!

I have 4 packs each of the original Nautilus and small BVC coils - I think I had better ration them!

I wonder how long it will be before somebody decides cotton is a dangerous material for wicks and Aspire decides to change to something else - let me see - ceramic should be pretty good don't you think, especially as it does not char when overheated?
  • The mod is still working well on the 2 Nautilus devices although one of them has once or twice had that pre-gurgle sound (I am sure you know what I mean) but it has not developed further thankfully.
    Yeah I'll get a slight gurgle but usually when the tank is real low. Filling the tank clears it up for me. When the coil is about dead it will give a little gurgle. These new coils don't last like the ceramic did.

My mini tank is still doing good the o-rings are really working out well.

I read your comment in the other thread and I agree with you. If they don't sell the ceramic version they are going to end up loosing me as a customer as well. These cotton coils don't have the performance like the ceramic and last half as long. They are too expensive to be replacing as often as I am. Cotton should be cheaper then ceramic so they should lower the price.

I have a K-1 tank I didn't care much for it (again constantly filling it). You are right there isn't enough room to put o-rings on it. I don't know how you're going to fix that one.
    I wonder how long it will be before somebody decides cotton is a dangerous material for wicks and Aspire decides to change to something else
    LOL.... Who knows.

Ceramic can take allot of heat. I've heard of people dry burning the ceramic BVC to clean them but I haven't try it. I can't see ceramic being harmful as long as it stays wet.

I just want to know why they completely stopped production of the ceramic. It seemed to be doing so good. Sure make a cotton version but why stop production of the ceramic that is already doing so good? Is there something we are not being told about?

And why don't they put the word cotton on the package? I mean for the people that freaked out over the ceramic. Wouldn't you want them to know they are buying the new "cotton" coils? Its like they don't want to draw attention. Like they want us to forget they were even made of ceramic. Why?

LOL... The more I think the more questions I get.

I'm going to start looking at some reviews and try to find a better product.
  • Well, this evening I got so fed up with the muted flavour on both of my Nautilus devices - and what little flavour there was started to taste "off" with just a hint of "burnt" - so I took out these new style cotton coils and fitted both with the old type - WOW what a revelation - the flavour is back and the vape sounds and tastes smoother!

I have only used these for a week AND I only vape at between 10-12 watts - the old type ceramics would usually last nearly a month and STILL be better than these are at one week old! I pulled one of them apart and the cotton was pretty charred where it is contact with the coil - maybe that is the reason they have oversized the juice feed holes - unless the cotton is oversaturated and close to flooding all the time the stuff burns up?

So Aspire, IF you ever bother to read your forum - these new BVC cotton coils are CRAP - and I will not be ordering any more until you re-instate the availability of the original version. If that does not happen you have lost another customer.

Actually I feel ripped off as I was not sent what I ordered and to top it off the pack still reccommends changing the coil after 2 weeks - some hope they will last that long.
  • Same here I'm not buying anymore. If they haven't brought the ceramic back then when I've finally finished using up these stupid cotton BVC's I got my next purchase is going to be a new Kanger tank.
  • I too feel ripped off....they need to be giving refunds out....wasted my money!!!! Will NOT EVER purchase the new COTTON COILS!!!! they SUCK!!! Time to retire my nautilis and find something new I suppose. I agree with you all!!!!
  • I have had nothing but trouble since I first got these cotton coils. Other then the larger holes you really can't tell they are cotton from there appearance. There is nothing on the packaging that says cotton. Yes I have checked the codes and they all show authentic.

Now the other day I opened up another new pack because I've been going through these coils pretty fast. Somethings different...... I had a little warning card fall out of the box. This warning wasn't in the other ones. I checked and I have another box with this little card as well. Thinking these have to be from a different batch I tried a coil without putting the o-rings on it. I'm now finishing up my third tank on the same coil. I can vape the tank all the way down without any gurgle. Very good vapor production and very good flavor. Still a little to early to tell but I think this batch of coils are just as good as the ceramic. I don't know if I can say better yet.. After vaping three tank fulls through this coil I'm still getting good vapor and flavor. The juice has gotten a little darker on the third tank.

So the first cotton coils I think was from a bad batch. At least I hope so.
  • woodbar

Does your cotton coils have this little warning card?
  • Yes they did have the little card - and I still think they are rubbish.

Pleased you are getting better results though - maybe I should open another pack to try?

Although I am still thinking of returning them as "not as described" - because I was not informed they were different to the previous ones I had ordered - all direct from Aspire
  • These things still don't work like the ceramic

MAKE BOTH COTTON AND CERAMIC
  • Well I managed to get one coil to last 5 tanks fulls. The second coil I'm not having such luck. I'm sure not going to buy a 5 pack only to get one good coil out of it.

So since I guess Aspire wont be making the ceramic anymore and these cottons ones just doesn't work for me does anyone have any suggestion on a good tank? A different brand perhaps one with not so expensive coils?
  • What ratio is the e-liquid you are all using? If it is thing like 50/50 it will definitely flood and gurgle. Zero complaints here - using 60% VG and higher liquids.
  • Well I am still using my normal 80/20 or 70/30 PG/VG mixes that I have always used with no problems on any of my various devices until Aspire substituted these coils without telling their customers when they ordered replacements!

Now if they have suddenly decided to pander to, what's seems to be, the elitist vapers ("nothing less than 70% VG is any good and 100% is king") then perhaps they should have made that clear on the product pages and packaging.

Just for your information I have used 100% PG in the old ceramic coils withe no problem and good results so I don't agree with your suggestions on either thread - I think you are blowing smoke my friend!
  • What ratio is the e-liquid you are all using? If it is thing like 50/50 it will definitely flood and gurgle. Zero complaints here - using 60% VG and higher liquids.
    I use 50/50... I can not use 100% VG I have reactions to it. Most people its the PG but with me its the VG I have bad reactions to. 100% VG gives me: sore spots on my tongue, spots on my lips, very oily skin and bad pimples or boils and this is nasty but very greasy hair. Also 100% causes me to produce allot of mucus that I would cough up out of my lungs. I cut back to 50/50 and I'm fine. I still get slightly oily skin and I still kinda have spot on my lips but no where near as bad as with 100% vg.
  • And here if you think I'm lying....

Boils under skin (I never had skin problems until I started vaping)

Hard to see but spots on my lips.

This is what the VG does to me at 50/50. Its 10x worse with 100% VG.

I can breath so much better now since I quit smoking. carrying a 5 gal bucket at work used to get me out of breath. Does anyone know what its feels like to not be able to catch your breath.

50/50 was perfect for the ceramic BVC's PERFECT!!! I put up with a few boils and some spots on the lips to be able to breath.

And before someone replies with a smart answer. YES I shower often... More now since I vape cause of the slightly oily skin.

This is also why I vape 60/40 in my iclear 16 at work it takes a thinner juice very well.

SO... Just make both Cotton and Ceramic BVC's. PLEASE!!!
  • Well I managed to get one coil to last 5 tanks fulls. The second coil I'm not having such luck. I'm sure not going to buy a 5 pack only to get one good coil out of it.

So since I guess Aspire wont be making the ceramic anymore and these cottons ones just doesn't work for me does anyone have any suggestion on a good tank? A different brand perhaps one with not so expensive coils?

Hey thegeodeman2005 (hope you see this!) - did you ever find a solution to this infuriating flooding issue? I tried your o-ring tip (after exhausting just about every other "solution" I came across online) and yet still in the past week I've gone through 3 new coils trying to at the LEAST vape an entire tank without flooding.

I thought I was buying a great quality tank when I got my Nautilus Mini after reading so many glowing reviews, but I am seriously at my wits end and going through an insane amount of coils (as well as tissues while mopping up all my wasted liquid). Some days it even makes me lament how much easier getting my nic fix was with real cigarettes!

If you managed to get these cotton BVCs working reliably or replaced this ridiculousness with something more consistent (wouldn't blame you in the least!) PLEASE let me know. I'm so frustrated that I haven't been able to fix this, any advice is much appreciated.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire