Aspire official statement on Atlantis coils material

Dear Aspire friends,

Recently, there’s been some talk about the material used in our Atlantis atomizers; we at Aspire have paid high attention to this discussion. To clarify the facts and set the record straight, we at Aspire would like to take this opportunity to give you information about the Atlantis system:

1.In the development history of electronic cigarettes, people have been continually discussing the safety of materials in personal vaporizers. Currently there are no organizations or government agencies giving definite conclusions from scientific empirical tests, and this discussion is still going on.
2.Because we at Aspire care about our product, their safety, and the safety of the end users, we’ve taken it upon ourselves to sponsor research institutes to research the safety of our electronic cigarettes, and personal vaporizers to assure our customers safety and health.
3.Aspire has built a strong R&D team to research new technology, and new material for better and safer vaping experience. The Atlantis is the panicle of our efforts. The material and technology used has passed hundreds of experiments on specially designed machines with documentation to ensure its safety.
4.To date, there’s been a lot false information and rumors spread on the Internet about our product, either by our competitors or speculation by people with concerns about what materials are used. We at Aspire want to assure you our customer, that we’ve been diligent to ensure a safe product for your use as well as ours, since we also vape what we sell. Aspire highly appreciates the love and support from all of our followers, and customers. Our growth is on the basis of your support! Welcome to share your opinion and advice with us: http://forum.aspirecig.com/

Actual composition of the Atlantis atomizer:
Notes:
A. Stainless Steel screen: keeps wicking in it’s casing, and helps prevent excess e-liquid from going into air chamber.
B. Kanthal heating coil from USA
C. Organic cotton: superior wicking to the coil
D. Aspire Ceramic paper: specially designed as a capillary medium to feed the cotton wick more efficiently.
E. Organic cotton: superior wicking to the Ceramic paper which holds the e-liquid for wicking to the cotton/coil area

The design of the Atlantis coil was done to maximize proficiency of e-liquid delivery and vaporization along with optimum use of materials for their specific duty.
The e-liquid is first absorbed by a cotton layer from the tank, which is then absorbed by the Patented Aspire Ceramic paper, which is then passed onto the cotton layer to the heating coil.
Organic cotton is a great wicking material, but does not contain the capillary capacity that our Ceramic Paper has from our research.
The Ceramic Paper is actually incased in the organic cotton as a high capacity holding area for the cotton to draw from so it can deliver e-liquid to the coil.
This design is proficient in keeping all the materials saturated at sub ohm, which increases the life of the atomizer.
Our patented ceramic paper has been tested by SGS, and shows there are no harmful chemicals or of off-gasses according the international standards currently in place.

The ceramic paper that has been in question here is fully incased in organic cotton, and has a screen to keep the wicking material in its place.
As with any modern day atomizer, as long as it’s properly used and kept saturated during use, it will perform as it was designed.

Abuse, dry burning or using the atomizer (inhaling with no liquid, and heated), when dry can and will be an issue just as it would be with any Cartomizer, Atomizer, RDA, RDTA, silica wick, Organic Cotton or anything that is used for vaporization of e-liquids.

To end, Aspire will spend more time communicating with our customers and friends to further educate and actively listen to your feedback / recommendations to further develop safe, healthy products.
Making revolutionary products to meet the requirements and expectations of our customers is what drives Aspire.

Thank you for reading. If you have questions or comments please contact us at: http://forum.aspirecig.com/

The Aspire Team
Comments
  • 57 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Thank you for sharing :D

I think Aspire at this point would have to release a 100% stainless tank with a 100% cotton wick to satisfy the debate.
  • I disagree with both those statements.

Part of the problem in communication on this issue is being caused by the inevitable language and cultural barriers IMO.

Aspire has, speaking specifically about the BVC coil, developed perhaps the best clearomizer coil to date.

Many people, myself included, really enjoy them, and have no major concerns, beyond those concerns we all have surrounding vaping in general, in regards to their use.

I would like to thank everyone at Aspire for continuing to develop and improve their products.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next.
  • I see a lot of P.R. in this post but Aspire still fails to show that there is no chance of inhaling crystalline silica dust from the Ceramic paper in the atomizer only hinting that be incased in organic cotton would stop participial's that are smaller than the thickness of a human hair. LOL

U.S. Department of Labor
    Crystalline silica is a basic component of soil, sand, granite, and many other minerals. Quartz is the most common form of crystalline silica. Cristobalite and tridymite are two other forms of crystalline silica. All three forms may become respirable size particles when workers chip, cut, drill, or grind objects that contain crystalline silica.
    Crystalline silica has been classified as a human lung carcinogen. Additionally, breathing crystalline silica dust can cause silicosis, which in severe cases can be disabling, or even fatal. The respirable silica dust enters the lungs and causes the formation of scar tissue, thus reducing the lungs’ ability to take in oxygen. There is no cure for silicosis. Since silicosis affects lung function, it makes one more susceptible to lung infections like tuberculosis. In addition, smoking causes lung damage and adds to the damage caused by breathing silica dust.
  • If it's proven, hair ball, where's your evidence? Do you have anything to authenticate our claims, or are you just a troll? Perhaps one orchids competitors they mentioned? Or maybe you're just the type that believes everything you read. The lie that person told about the piece of ceramic was just too obvious. Stop trolling and prove what you say.
  • "Our patented ceramic paper has been tested by SGS, and shows there are no harmful chemicals or of off-gasses according the international standards currently in place."

You never tested, according to this statement, for particles breaking loose and lodging deep inside a person's lungs. That is where the real issue with your Atlantis coil is at. The cotton, from my own personal experience, does not hold those particles in place inside the coil.

I have a copy of your testing. There is nothing in there stating anything about inhalation. Please retest for this and present your findings.
  • If the wicking material is wet with E-Liquid, there aren't any issues.

Think about it. The E-Liquid creates surface tension, thereby binding any loose fibers together and prevents separation and inhalation.

Which is another reason why to wait the recommended time for the E-Liquid to wick to the coil when changing the coil, and why it isn't recommended to run the tank dry, and dry burning the coil (dry burning really just burns the cotton wrap around the coil).
  • The potential dangers need to be eliminated! Why should there ever be a health risk if it can be easily eliminated. Please make an organic cotton replacement head for the Atlantis and use 100% stainless steel in the devices.
  • Guz" said:
    If the wicking material is wet with E-Liquid, there aren't any issues.

Think about it. The E-Liquid creates surface tension, thereby binding any loose fibers together and prevents separation and inhalation.

Which is another reason why to wait the recommended time for the E-Liquid to wick to the coil when changing the coil, and why it isn't recommended to run the tank dry, and dry burning the coil (dry burning really just burns the cotton wrap around the coil).
    No one has run the tank dry. Many people have complain of throat and chest irritation from using the Atlantis coils.

And let me explain your theory about dry coils a little deeper. Once you fire a wet coil, the material coming in contact with the coil becomes instantly dry. Therefore you still are going to get particles breaking loose making these coils sub par in quality. But hey, if you want to die from lung tumors caused from this, please do so. I quit smoking to avoid that.
  • If you look at the diagram, the wire never touches the ceramic wicking material. There is a layer of cotton between the wire coil and the ceramic wick, so the ceramic wick shouldn't dry out. The cotton will.

Now I know that you will mention that the top of the wicking material is exposed. Yep, hence the wire mesh. But.. It's to big a mesh. Again, the ceramic wick stays wet. I've played around, looking hard at that material trying to find an issue when used under normal conditions. Microscope and tweezers, dental picks, etc. I can't find any signs of fibers being loose.

I think the comments of throat and chest irritations with the Atlantis, is due to it being a sub ohm setup. And people just aren't accustomed to it. Sub ohm systems run warmer, produce stronger vapor. I remember my first hit on a sub ohm dripper with cotton wicks, "OMFG I'm gonna die!" Is what ran through my mind.
  • Guz" said:
    If you look at the diagram, the wire never touches the ceramic wicking material. There is a layer of cotton between the wire coil and the ceramic wick, so the ceramic wick shouldn't dry out. The cotton will.
  • Hairball, I'd like to ask if you read the entire response. Did you not see the explanation of the steel screen? Please explain to me how a "piece of ceramic" can be created of a ceramic paper, then be forced through a stainless steel screen, then fit through the small hole at the base of the drip tip. Please also provide proof of this "proven to be unhealthy" claim you dropped onto the post.
  • hairball" said:
    [quote="Guz"]If the wicking material is wet with E-Liquid, there aren't any issues.

No one has run the tank dry. Many people have complain of throat and chest irritation from using the Atlantis coils.

And let me explain your theory about dry coils a little deeper. Once you fire a wet coil, the material coming in contact with the coil becomes instantly dry. Therefore you still are going to get particles breaking loose making these coils sub par in quality. But hey, if you want to die from lung tumors caused from this, please do so. I quit smoking to avoid that.[/quote]
    Lots of assumptions going on in this post.

First; the doesn't instantly dry when a coil is fired. It would take a lot more heat, or a very overly powered and poorly designed mod, to cause that to happen. In that case, then the problem is with everything but the wicking material.

Second; the only particles that would be "knocked loose" from a situation like you describe would be burnt cotton smoke particles...which are probably more harmful than the ceramic particles you are worried about.
  • Guz" said:
    If you look at the diagram, the wire never touches the ceramic wicking material. There is a layer of cotton between the wire coil and the ceramic wick, so the ceramic wick shouldn't dry out. The cotton will.

Now I know that you will mention that the top of the wicking material is exposed. Yep, hence the wire mesh. But.. It's to big a mesh. Again, the ceramic wick stays wet. I've played around, looking hard at that material trying to find an issue when used under normal conditions. Microscope and tweezers, dental picks, etc. I can't find any signs of fibers being loose.

I think the comments of throat and chest irritations with the Atlantis, is due to it being a sub ohm setup. And people just aren't accustomed to it. Sub ohm systems run warmer, produce stronger vapor. I remember my first hit on a sub ohm dripper with cotton wicks, "OMFG I'm gonna die!" Is what ran through my mind.
    I beg to differ about the cotton containing the fibers. The cotton fries no matter how wet it is kept. Once that fries, the whole inside (airhole) is exposed to the coil. I haven't seen one that the cotton cloth has stayed in tact.
  • My suggestion for everyone that has the time. Take a brand new Atlantis atomizer and break it down and use 100% organic cotton. Believe me there is a difference between the two so there is something going on with the Atlantis sub ohm atomizers and that material.

The taste and performance is so different and the cotton may not last longer than the original material they used, but at least you know what you are using.

To fix this issue Aspire needs to release a RBA as an option like the Kanger Sub tank or fix there atomizers.
  • This whole thing Started with Vapor Joe. He makes money off of sending people, linking to various products. He started the rumor at the same time he started re-directing people to the Kanger Subtank. Kanger pays him to do so. He knows full well there is no Silica in the Aspire coils, but continues to lie, and keep the rumor alive. He needs to be sued for Defamation.

Here is the initial lies he and his staff of moderators started, starting with Tyger Tyger's bogus blog post with a so called expert, who is, by the way, a Vapor Joes/Vapingunderground moderator/staff member himself. "dr_rox". You will notice in the article how they are pushing the Kanger Subtank.

http://vaporjoescanada.com/2014/12/21/i ... silicosis/

Then from the Canadian "Vapor Joes", it moves and Joe himself perpetuates the rumor on Vapingunderground here. You will notice a few more of his moderator's confirming their disgust and disbelief in a very phony manner.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/va ... ory.42310/

Continues***
  • Then, here, you will see yet another one of the VaporJoes/Vapingunderground Moderators/staff member "smokie" fire off some more lies and commits more defamation.

http://vapingunderground.com/threads/ar ... -so.39902/

This is the most disgusting greed filled lies I've seen in a long time. Aspire has been damaged well beyond what they realize yet, in Sales, Future Sales, and cost of marketing.

Tell Vapor Joe at http://vapingunderground.com what a greedy group he and his Staff Members are, and while your at it, boycott anything "Vapor Joe". The best way to boycott this criminal is to not click on his links to products.
  • hairball, which cotton layer are you referring to? I am guessing C... cotton will not burn if it is wet.
  • Dear Aspire,

First, I love the Atlantis. But I don't know that I will continue to use it until you create an all cotton wicked coil. You say that the ceramic paper is encased in cotton, but I can look at the top of my coil and see that the top leg of the coil comes in direct contact with the ceramic paper, because the cotton only is on the sides. Your research does not seem to provide the facts that others research does. I personally have never seen anything "vaper Joe" posted. It seems that although you say these are safe, your statements or diagram don't quite match the reality of what the actual coil head looks like or is built. I cannot ignore the throat irritation that I am experiencing since using your product. The reason I started looking around was because of this irritation. I have been vaping sub ohm much lower than .5 for quite some time, using only cotton for wicking, and have never had any irritation. I was a Nautilus user, and then went to dripping, went to the Atlantis because it gives the experience of dripping when dripping is not logical. Please Aspire, makes us an all organic cotton wicked coil for the Atlantis, this is what a large group of your customers want. I will purchase the 5ml replacement if I can use the system with all cotton wicking.
  • Jackson: I agree with most everything about VaporJoe, he changed once his greed became massive. with how much he could make pushing products. I removed his webpage from opening everytime I opened my browser - I added it as I viewed it everyday. now only maybe once a month lol.

Just my thoughts below, being a vapor for many many years & a smoker for 25 years.

On the upside, all coils need to be made for safety. and the safest materials for our lungs. The weakest link is by far the Strongest. one weak material in a coil would be the strongest health risk. Once the material starts to breakdown it will fall apart & then it will be in the lungs.

these large companies like kanger & Aspire make millions a year on just one tank type alone, so the money is there for the research, just depends on the people that make it happen inside the companies! the overhead is massive so it's no problem. most can justify spending what Kanger & Aspire charge for products, vs say other cheap china companies making a fast buck without caring about safety or health.

Off Topic:
    I like all the new Products, but really would like coils to be made so I can rebuild them my self. Seems most companies are making sure they cant be rebuilt now, thats bad.

im not bashing companies just thoughts. as I like Aspire & kanger very much as they both continue to Evolve & get better. Cheers
  • I suspect that hairball is a sock puppet. His only posts are on this topic.
  • hairball" said:
    I have a copy of your testing. There is nothing in there stating anything about inhalation. Please retest for this and present your findings.
    Hairball ..... I am curious as to where others may obtain a copy of the testing you appear to dispute? I would love to read and digest the results of testing even if the test does not include the parameters you noted.

Thanks in advance!

SmokeJumper (aka: Donald)
  • I have cleaned a couple Aspire BVC coils that worked well for approx 50 mls Bobas Bounty then lost a little flavor.
    The process was as follows:
    1. Twizzle a thin cotton pipe cleaner down through the screen and coil until I see the end of it in the air hole at the bottom. Extract and snip off the dirty pipe cleaner end. Repeat 3 or 4 times with clean pipe cleaner each time, until it comes out clean.
    2. Ultrasonic clean in hot water with a drop of Dawn dish soap. 4 minutes. Repeat with clean hot water but no soap, 4 minutes.
    3. Dry overnight on a boiler casing.

After this clean, these cleaned out BVC coils seem to look, function and last like new ones.

Do you see any problems with my cleaning process?
  • Bonz" said:
    I see a lot of P.R. in this post but Aspire still fails to show that there is no chance of inhaling crystalline silica dust from the Ceramic paper in the atomizer only hinting that be incased in organic cotton would stop participial's that are smaller than the thickness of a human hair. LOL

U.S. Department of Labor
    Crystalline silica is a basic component of soil, sand, granite, and many other minerals. Quartz is the most common form of crystalline silica. Cristobalite and tridymite are two other forms of crystalline silica. All three forms may become respirable size particles when workers chip, cut, drill, or grind objects that contain crystalline silica.
    Crystalline silica has been classified as a human lung carcinogen. Additionally, breathing crystalline silica dust can cause silicosis, which in severe cases can be disabling, or even fatal. The respirable silica dust enters the lungs and causes the formation of scar tissue, thus reducing the lungs’ ability to take in oxygen. There is no cure for silicosis. Since silicosis affects lung function, it makes one more susceptible to lung infections like tuberculosis. In addition, smoking causes lung damage and adds to the damage caused by breathing silica dust.
    Dear Friend,
    Thanks very much for the concern and information.
    But we need to clarify that there is not shards of glass silica you mentioned in our coils material, before using the material, we did thousands of tests to confirm the safety. We also use the products we sold.
    We at Aspire never defame others and regard customers as our lives, we will do whatever are good to the users. If people all think the organic cotton or Japanese cotton is 100% safe, we will change the coil material to these stuff, now we are testing the cotton material, if we confirm it is healthy, we will change as soon as possible. Thanks.
  • I would prefer not having to rely on the cotton and the screen to keep the ceramic paper from coming loose, malfunctioning or otherwise not performing at 100% of its intended design. This patented ceramic paper is what I am concerned with as I have been unable to find any detailed specifics of what exactly it is made from. I personally will not use these Atlantis heads or any other atomizer unless they are manufactured using only 100% organic cotton wicking material.
  • you can never make everyone happy, but that said i am very happy with the tank and wicking material no problems best i have ever used and i have been vaping for five years great job guys keep up the good work!!!!!!!!
  • I think the issue everyone has with this is the type of material you used and the assumption that is made on Aspire's end that the material surrounding it will hold up and protect the ceramic paper from being inhaled.

Coils don't hold up. You know that which is why you sell packs of 5 for $15. Aspire makes an incredible amount of revenue off the breakdown of replaceable coils. It's clear in taking apart the Atlantis coil on my tank that both forms of wicking material have broken apart and line the drip tip.

Tell us more about the ceramic paper you used. Is it any different than the aluminosilicate ceramic paper described in this MSDS document here.

http://www.ceramaterials.com/images/MSDS_of_Blanket.pdf

"11. TOXICOLOGICAL INFORMATION
    Epidemiological studies conducted by Institution of Human Environment Protection in China has provided no evidence that there is a direct cause-and-effect relationship between cumulative exposure to aluminosilicate fibers and lung cancers or particular pulmonary diseases.
    However, recent toxicological experiments using physiological exposure method (inhalation) have produced findings of respiratory disease in rodents. Aluminosilicate refractory fiber has found to be a rodent carcinogen under the conditions that the rodents are exposed to high levels of the material (75 – 115 fibers/cc) on a basis of lifetime duration."

It also worries me that your response seems to indicate that your choice of materials is solely based on customer feedback and not scientific research. Why not stick with the ceramic paper if it's been tested as safe and reliable?
  • Dear Friends,
    Thank you for your friendly concerns and suggestions.
    In the development history of electronic cigarettes, people have been continually discussing the safety of materials in personal vaporizers. Currently there are no organizations or government agencies giving definite conclusions from scientific empirical tests, and this discussion is still going on.
    There are some friends have doubts and fears.All the doubts and fears are due to the lack of cognition. Due to the unfamiliar and unknown on the ceramic fiber used in Atlantis atomizer.
    We at aspire listen to our customers, Aspire R&D team has been researching to use the organic cotton which is widely accepted by people instead of our present material on the premise of maintaining the optimal performance and stability of our products to meet customers attention and requirements.

Best wish!
  • I appreciate Aspire providing the information based on there product and it makes me a lot more comfortable with the coils. A lot of companies do not do that so thank you Aspire for providing the consumers the necessary information needed.

Now I have to comment on the Vapor Joe postings. Each and everyone has a right to provide a review or have an opinion on a product. Vapor Joe is the highest rated site when it comes Vaping needs and they provide a wonderful service to the vaping community. It could be possible that they did experience flaking with the material as I had similar issue.

My first coil I used for 3 days at 30 watts with a 90 VG 10 PG juice and then I started noticing something floating in the tank. I took apart the atomizer and the outer cotton was black as well as the tip of the cotton was black. Now on my 2nd atomizer the same wattage same juice not a problem and I have not had one since the first one. I think I may have gotten a bad coil since that was the coil that was in the tank when I bought it and I have used 5 since then and no issues i love the Atlantis.

I doubt that Kanger is paying vapor Joe and there are a lot of members in Vapor Joe community that feel that the Aspire Atlantis is a far more superior device than the Kanger Sub-ohm.
  • Honestly I think it wasn't clever for aspire to still use anything "non-cotton" since vapers these days are SO oh god SO anal about their health and shit that anything that is not ORGANIC is immediately deathly.

I used to have an atlantis. I didn't care about the ceramic thing going on. I just didn't like the flavor. 0 flavor in my opinion. the nautilus mini gives me better flavor. which is the reason why I went with kanger surprisingly this time.

il probably try out the whole organic cotton when it finally comes out and people say its better since I always liked aspire products more than kanger products but this time I have to pass.

pro-tip. don't bother with fancy materials that aren't natural. at most rayon is kinda accepted. but just ditch the whole ceramic stuff. I seriously don't understand joyetech who is suddenly coming out with a device that they blank to the face state "uses glass fiber for a healthier vape". seriously advertising your product uses glass fiber? what the hell.

Plus I was having issues with the coils anyway. :? after 2 days the pull would get super tight. barely any vapor and I could literally see the inside material being pulled through the coil into the center. didn't know I was so good at sucking. :lol:
  • i ve been using the nautilus for 9 months then i ve purchased an atlantis 6 weeks ago
    the atlantis made me cough a few times at first because i wasnt used to sub ohm vaping in my opinion , that and using high PG rate liquids (~70% PG).
    dry throat because of high PG rate on aerotank nautilus atlantis or on a rebuidable with cotton or fibre freaks makes me cough if i dont remember to drink a lot of water

now, firing the atlantis around 20 watts and using high VG rate, no problem at all for me
    and i really love this clearo !
© 2017 Powered by Aspire