Aspire CF MOD battery holder review, by Guz

To go with my Atlantis, I chose the CF MOD Battery holder. Why? I like the idea of having replaceable batteries. With going with sub Ω on coils, you really stress batteries. You pull amps that are on the upper end of the batteries rating. Also you use up the amps quickly when you use sub Ω coils (check the ‘C’ rating on your batteries, see below for details). So having the ability to eventually replace a dead battery is a great feature.

When using the Atlantis with their 0.5 Ω coil, I am currently going through a 2400 mA battery in a 4 – 5 milliliters of juice. Having the ability to swap out the dead battery for a fully charged battery and then put the dead battery on charge is really nice for continues vaping. Which for some reason I’m chain vaping the Atlantis more so than my Nautilus. I guess it’s because of the better flavor production from the Atlantis.

Having a basic background with electronics and battery chemistry, I really appreciate the features that Aspire has incorporated into the CF MOD battery holder.
  • On-Off: Click the button 5 times in under 2 seconds and it will turn off/on (help stops accidental firing of the coil if you put in a bag, or a pocket)[/*]
  • Power level indicator: The LED around the firing button will stay blue with the battery in the 3.5-4.2V range, Orange when the battery is at or below 3.5V[/*]
  • Over discharge Protection: Turns off at 2.8V[/*]
  • Short Circuit Protection: Blinks 3 times if there is a short in the battery, and goes into “sleep” mode.[/*]
  • Vented End Cap: Just by chance you have a battery failure, the holder won’t turn into a pipe bomb in front of your face.[/*]
All of these features trump a “Mech Mod” battery holder which literally is just a battery with an on/off switch. With a Mech Mod battery if there is any failure of shorting, low voltage, etc. if a things fail, they have a greater chance of failing catastrophically.

The nice thing is that you don’t have to use the CF MOD battery just on the Atlantis. You can use it with another setup that you are sub ohm’ng. You just have to stay within the design limits of the battery you put in the CF MOD. But you do have to match your battery with your coil!

An example of matching battery to coil: The new Atlantis coils are 0.5 Ω resistance. With an 18650 battery at 4.2V, you will be pulling 8.4 Amps (ohms law: I=V/R, where I is the current, aka amps) or 35.28 watts maximum. Power (watts) = Current Squared (I^2) * Resistance (R)

If by chance, you get a 0.3 Ω coil, you will be pulling 14 amps/58.8 watts maximum.

Now that you know the amps, you need to look at the C rating of your battery. The C rating is how much current you can safely pull off a battery. If the battery is a 2000 mAh battery, it needs to have a C rating of 4.2 or better to power the coil and not damage the battery (Ideally you would roughly double the C rating of the battery to provide a safety cushion, so you look for a 2000mAh 8C battery)

Now if you are just starting out with enjoying sub Ω coils, this may not be the best thing for you to purchase. Mainly because you need to purchase batteries separately. You also need a separate battery charger that will accept the 18650 Lithium Ion (LiIo) batteries (you HAVE to have a charger that understands how to charge LiIo batteries). Those two things (batteries, charger) add up quickly in costs. But the plus side is as I said before: Swap batteries whenever you want. Upgrade the battery if a newer, better battery comes to market.

But if all of this is too much for you, Aspire has you covered with their CF SUB Ω Battery. That has the battery included (non-removable). And you can use the standard Aspire USB 510, A/C adapter charger that works on their other CF batteries. And it’s got more protective, regulation circuitry inside to make it smart, safe battery!

One last thing: The Carbon Fiber wraps on this battery holder just so sweet looking. People do a double take when they see it.
No Comment
© 2017 Powered by Aspire