Battery Safety

Nowadays, most of vapers out there that use replaceable batteries, some of them know battery safety, but others not. Today I want to talk about battery safety.If you know more about battery safety, please also feel free to share here.:emoji_blush:

These batteries are fairly powerful and can pack a hefty punch so need to be handled with care, the last thing we need is for them to ‘short out’ causing what is commonly known as ‘thermal runaway’.

Thermal runaway occurs when the temperature of a cell increases in an uncontrolled manner, leading to its failure. This temperature increase generates gases, which vent when the pressure inside the cell rises above a design value. For lithium-ion cells, these gases are hot and combustible, which can become a hazard if a pack was not designed to control the causes and consequences of thermal runaway. It can result in the venting of toxic and highly flammable gases and the release of significant energy in the form of heat. If ignited, these gases can cause enclosed areas to over-pressurize, and if unmitigated, this overpressure can result in an explosion and severe damage to the battery and surrounding equipment or people.
Then how to prevent the thermal runaway?
First: Under no circumstances should you use any battery with ANY kind of damage to the wrappers, no tears or rips should be anywhere on the wrapper.

Aspire includes warnings against the use of damaged battery wrappers,We can clearly see here damaged wrappers on the right, but its not just the ends of the battery wrap that can get damaged. The sides are also vulnerable to small nicks and cuts, exposing the metal casing beneath and are just as dangerous as the pictures above.

If we look closely at this picture, we can see, just above the persons thumb, a tiny hole in the battery wrap as well as the damage to the end. Even if the end of this battery hadn’t been damaged, I personally still wouldn’t use it. That is how observant and careful you should also be.

Second: Carry your batteries with cases. Now, in your pocket, purse or bag with bunches of keys and other metal objects ………..its just asking for a ‘short’ and a whole lot of trouble. So again, get to your vape store or online and get some very cheap and affordable but very safe battery cases. here is what I am using:

Third:If it is a mod using two 18650 batteries, please make sure that the two batteries are coming from one brand with the same specification (capacity, discharge rate&current)

Fourth: Make sure the discharge current supports your vaping tank, if you want to use low resistance coil, I suggest using high discharge current batteries(discharge current >25A).
Comments
© 2015 Powered by Aspire