Triton RTA as a BVC!!!

I kept looking at the RTA parts and I kept wondering if it could be built as a BVC instead of a horizontal coil.

It didn't take me long, to figure it out and try it. And it WORKS!!! And it works really well!!!

The first thing you need is an extra jewelers screwdriver, since you are going to be using the supplied rod/screwdriver during the assembly. And you might need a small needle nose pliers.

You just need to bend the existing wire (or wrap your own) in the this shape.

One leg needs just needs to be bent along the side.
The other leg needs a slight dog leg to get it to be in the center.

Then slide the wire over the provided rod, with the center wire at the bottom.

Next, cut a 8mm wide strip of the cotton. Give it a single wrap, and wrap it tightly, around the coil.

Now take the upper hardware and slide it over the rod.

Make sure the leg of the wire goes through the proper hole, and stuff the cotton in and tighten the set screw.

Also, make sure that the cotton isn't covering the bottom of the coil.

Next you want to join the bottom hardware with the middle hardware (just push it in) to make a lower assembly.

Now slide the bottom leg of the coil into the center hole of the bottom assembly.

Screw the upper hardware onto the lower assembly, and tighten up the set screw.

Remove the rod, clip the wires, and put it in your Triton tank.
YOU ARE DONE!!!

You should notice that the rod helped line up the center of the coil with the hole in upper assembly.

After putting the coil in the tank, I let the juice sit for around 5 minutes. I am currently using a 20/80 (PG/VG) juice.

A couple of cold hits with both the air adjust slots closed just to make sure that the juice soaked into the cotton, just for good measure. Then it off to open the air slots and fire it up.

IT WORKS!!! And it works amazingly well!! Darn near equal to the pre-made from Aspire! I could get used to this, really quick!!

BTW, if you want to view larger images, check out the web page I made just for this at: Aspire's Triton RTA built as a BVC

charlzrocksmidnightwolfTinaSouthy321Old_Salt
Comments
  • 25 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • The holes have been keeping up with juice flow nicely.

Checking with my multimeter it was at 0.5 ohms.
    Southy321
  • @tclolo
    It's a bit of trial and error. You can stuff the cotton in so it's tight. But you have to make sure that top and bottom of the coil isn't blocked by the cotton.

I just used my thumb and index finger to roll the cotton around the coil while still on the rod. I guess the other trick is to make sure that the strip of cotton isn't wider than the coil.
    tclolo
  • Freaking Awesome Dude! I never even thought of this! It should improve the airflow problem I had when I tried mine! I will have to give this a shot...thanks for the great info! =D>
  • Nice. Just got mine also and am not a fan of the flavor I am getting with the horizontal coil. Will definitely be trying a vertical. At least I know it can be done
  • Very nice build !
    Are the two rather small wholes on the RTA enough to soak the cotton ?
    How many Ohms did you measure on your build ?
  • Wow wow wow. I did a 1 Ohm vertical. Did not use your method but it worked nicely. I got the coil in the top hardware and just packed the cotton around it. A little gurgle at first but I did wet it before I threw it in my 2nd Triton. Clouds are not so good at 1 Ohm but the flavor is there. Definitely fixed the air flow issues. Now that I got a decent build with good air flow, I am loving it.

@Tina Aspire needs to sell this cotton. Best cotton I have used. Better than the Japanese Organic Cotton my local shop sells.
  • @midnightwolf I will pass your suggestion(Aspire needs to sell this cotton) to our online store manager.
    :)
  • @Guz While I'm waiting to receive my Aspire Triton Tank, RTA System, & hat. I have a question what gauge wire are you using to get .5 Ohm? I'm planning on making an order for Kanthal A1 but want a wire Gauge that will hit .5 Ohm and be compatible with my Triton Tank & RTA System whenever I receive it or if I ever receive it I should say. Btw I thought it could be done but with not having the RTA System Kit in my hands yet. I didn't want to by Kanthal A1 Wire until I saw a post on the forum or received it. But it seems like your post made it to the forum and still no kit.. lol just my luck, but that looks amazing and can't wait to try once I find out the gauge of wire so I'm not buying a bunch of Kanthal that I will not use. Thks =D>
  • Southy321,

That build was done with the included pre made coil in the kit.

On the webpage: http://www.aspirecig.com/products/triton/triton214.html
    Aspire recommends the following:
    Gauge: Inner Diameter: Width: Resistance: Power
    26 gauge/0.4mm: 3.5mm: 4.0mm: 0.9 Ohm: 15-20 Watts
    24 gauge/0.5mm: 3.5mm: 4.0mm: 0.5 Ohm: 20-25 Watts
    22 gauge/0.6mm: 3.5mm: 4.0mm: 0.4 Ohm: 20-25 Watts
    21 gauge/0.7mm: 3.5mm: 4.0mm: 0.3 Ohm: 25-30 Watts

I believe the "Width" is really the recommended length after you have wrapped it. Which works quite well for the vertical coil as well.
  • @Guz Thanks for the updated information, really appreciate it sir.. B-)
  • @Tina Do you know what the Gauge of the Kanthal A1 prebuilt coil that's included RTA System for the Triton that's sold on http://online.aspirecig.com/aspire-triton-rta-system-p-135.html
    Thanks
  • @Southy321 Did you mean the prebuilt wire inside the RTA box?
    If your answer is yes.
    Here is the information:
    It is 0.5 ohm.
    Gauge of wire is 0.5mm,the Inner diameter is 3.5mm.
  • @Tina Thank You, just wanted to know before I order the RTA System and Kanthal A1 Wire.. :D
  • @Guz
    received my rta today, built this bvc, played it around couple times with rewrap, getting the right amount of cotton is the key of this, first try, im pretty much drinking the juice. i noticed that after rolling the cotton and put it in the top part, there is a gap between the outer surface of the juice hole to the surface of cotton(about 1mm indent) so wonder how much cotton you putted in. also my other problem is even with 3.5 inner diameter the airflow is very restricted to my taste, nowhere near the stock coils. so not sure is it something i did wrong or its just how the rta is.
  • @Guz
    made a perfect one. used 4.0mm jig 24g kanthal 4 wraps with some small space inbetween each wrap. it sits in the upper hardware perfectly and with cotton the the same width as the coil. no gurgle, no dry hit. i would say the airflow is about the same as stock. what i did different is i didnt bend my coil the way you showed in your pics, seems like you centered the leg that goes to the bottom, i didnt do that.
  • GuzGuz
    edited August 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @tclolo

Yea, I bent it like that on the first coil I made. Just to make sure that it lined up. But on smaller diameter wire (higher gauge number), I just leave it straight and it finds its way into the bottom hole.
  • This might be a bit of a stupid question, but can I build a higher ohm coil with say, 28 gauge wire?

I really enjoyed the stock 1.8 ohm coil for MTL, and I'm hoping the RTA kit will enable me to build something similar.

I see the highest ohm recommendation is .9 ohm. Is that a restriction though, or will I be opening myself up to leaking etc if I try to build higher?

Great video by the way =D>
  • @AtreyusHorse yes, you can go with a higher gauge (smaller diameter) wire, no problem. I even played around with 30 gauge micro wrap. I didn't turn out the way I liked it, but it can be done.

If you enjoy the stock 1.8 ohm coil, the closest I've gotten to it, is 28 gauge kanthal, wrapped on a 2 mm shaft, evenly spaced wraps (sorry I forgot to count the number of wraps, as I use an ohm meter to figure out the length of wire to use) to a ~6 mm long coil. It takes almost a full strip of cotton wrapped around to fill the space.
  • @Guz If you don't mind me asking, what website or APK do you use to figure out the length of the wire for your builds?
  • @AtreyusHorse I forgot to mention, build it as a BVC ;)

@Southy321 I just use a millimeter to determine what length to use.
    Here's a cheap one from Harbor Freight:

I just set it to 200 ohm, and hold one lead to the end of the wire, and then slide the other lead along the length of the wire till I get the desired ohms. Then I add a little bit for the legs of the coil and cut, then wrap and verify. Sometimes I have to remove or add wrap. No big deal.

Some times I do have start over with a different gauge of wire, because it doesn't have enough, or to many wraps around my desired inside diameter.

But that's how I do it.
  • Why don't you use this to determine the Ohm's you want ?

steam-engine.org/coil.asp
  • @Cegoca Wow!!! Someone had some extra time on their hands.

I'll stick to my multimeter. It's actually really simple, and really accurate. When I want to be.

Plus it very useful for anything electrical, AC voltage, DC voltage, DC amperage, resistance/continuity, PNP and NPN circuit testing.
  • Guz said:

@Cegoca Wow!!! Someone had some extra time on their hands.

??? What do you mean ?

• GuzGuz
    edited August 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    They took time to do all the math and HTML coding to make the web page.
© 2017 Powered by Aspire