Coil Packaging

Put the full specifications for your coils on the packaging, or on an insert where they are included with another product (Kit or Tank.) For example "1.8Ω 3.3V-5.0V" or "0.3Ω 55W - 65W." Lettering should be at least 10pt so us aging folk with diminishing eyesight can read them.

It is very difficult for some of us to read the values stamped on the coils, even with a magnifying glass.

Tina
Comments
  • 30 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • It has to do with the way that Wattage is measured and calculated. On a lot of devices, a higher ohm coil will only go to about 12 to 15 Watts. Most coils you use in tanks really only use at the most 5 Volts. With the Nautilus 1.8 Ohm coils, 4.8 Volts does not really equal to a lot of Watts so it does not give you much in the way of adjustments. With lower ohm and sub-ohm coils, you need to be able to adjust to a higher wattage to run them. Wattage is the power output of a device. The amperage of the device will be higher in Wattage but not in Voltage and you need more amperage in Sub-Ohm coils. Sorry if this is a little technical.
    Tina
  • @Viruk P = E X I = E*E/R = I*I*R
    E = volts, I = amps, R= ohms, P = watts

for Nautilus R = 1.8Ω
    P = 3.7V*3.7V/1.8Ω = 7.6W
    P = 3.8V*3.8V/1.8Ω = 8.0W note 0.1V difference = 0.4W

P = 4.7V*4.7V/1.8Ω = 12.3W
    P = 4.8V*4.8V/1.8Ω = 12.8W note 0.1V difference = 0.5W

Most digital VV MODs step voltage by 0.1V which roughly equates to 0.5W. VW digital MODs have a wattage step of 0.1W below 30W. This gives you finer control than the VV MOD. I run all my MODs in VW mode, regardless of the coil's resistance.

Tina
  • Don't forget though that all these calculations that seemed logical to me over the last year since I started to vape, have been a bit thrown upside down with Aspire's new coils.
    This was already the fact with the 3 different Atlantis coils and now with the new Triton probably too.

Anyway, in the practice, the main regulation is your personal feeling. If you want to vape on a coil at 13 W when all others around do it at 10 W, keep following your feelings.
    ;)
    Tina
  • @Viruk If you like Old_Salt 's post,you can give "like" to him :D
  • Tina said:

@Viruk If you like Old_Salt 's post,you can give "like" to him :D

@Tina
    I thought I'd seen how, but apparently I haven't! I clicked the little upwards pointing triangle to upvote it - but how to I actually "like" a post?
    Tina
  • X2! I always have to read the text on the coil using a magnifying glass and some brands of coils don't even have that!
  • X3 totally agree .im also one who squints and uses a magnifying glass to read them
  • Definitely having a quick reference on the packaging would be helpful
  • Customers can read the suggested wattage/voltage range information on the side of the 5pcs packaging of the coils

Best Wish
  • edited June 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    @Tina Is this a recent addition? I purchased a 5pcs package of 0.5Ω Atlantis replacement coils. The code is authentic. The packaging does not have the resistance value or any indication of the power required on it.
  • This is normal, probably a left over of when there were only 0.5 Ohm coils.
    The new packages have the 3 different choices on their left side (and I can read them with my glasses only ;) )
  • I have a 5 pack of 1.6 ohm nautilus coils here and there's definitely no wattage or voltage information on the side. As is the case for @Old_Salt I have also checked the security code on your website and that says they are the genuine product.
    It could be older stock I guess - but that's great news if this information has been added to the packaging now :)
  • edited July 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    Viruk said:

I have a 5 pack of 1.6 ohm nautilus coils here and there's definitely no wattage or voltage information on the side. As is the case for @Old_Salt I have also checked the security code on your website and that says they are the genuine product.
    It could be older stock I guess - but that's great news if this information has been added to the packaging now :)

Old salt was talking about the Atlantis coils two posts above.
    Nautilus coils never had it, at least a few months back (just the ohms, very small written, at the back of the pack)
    ET-s and CE5 coil packages BVC or BDC do have it.

• I find that with higher ohm coils like the Nautilus, Voltage is a better read out of what the coils are rated for. For the Atlantis and other sub-ohm coils, Wattage is a better read out even though I still look at the voltage to see where I am at on my Sigelei 150W.
  • @cegoca oh my mistake - apologies
    Would be great to see that kind of info on the pack for the nautilus too though - in wattage or volts :)

@midnightwolf thanks for the info - could you explain why voltage is better than wattage in rating for some coils?
  • @midnightwolf thanks for the reply

no problem at all with the technical detail... what you're saying makes sense

but I have another query if you don't mind....
    I was playing with the formula
    voltage = amps x watts
    and then found http://www.steam-engine.org/ohm.asp which made it a whole lot easier...

so basically because of the way low resistance affects that formula you effectively have large changes in watts for small changes in volts - so varying watts give better "fine tuning" ?

I ran a test and saw the difference with a 0.5 ohm coil at 30 watts - it more than triples the amperage while the volts are actually lower than on the higher ohm core.

Thanks very much for the pointer - its funny how playing with a calculator like that can help to lock in a concept - I appreciate your help :)
  • @Old_Salt thanks very much - another really useful illustration

so VV would definitely give me more control on my MVP 3 pro for that kind of resistance; that can do Voltage in 0.1 steps, and Wattage in 0.5 steps - so the change over for precision for that mod is around 4.6 or 4.7 V (depending on rounding error) and then stepping the wattage would more precise. My only other mod is the Aspire CF Mod - I like it but there's no VV or VW to worry about

Thanks again for your input - this all makes a lot more sense thanks to two very informative posts :)
  • @Viruk Yep that is basically it. I think you are understanding it now. B-)
    @Viruk The point I'm trying to make is that with 1.8Ω coils you get more precise control using variable wattage than variable voltage. Let's check using the Triton 1.8Ω coil...

Aspire rates this coil for 10 - 13 watts. Using a VW MOD with 0.1W steps, you have 31 possible settings for this range. We need to calculate the minimum and maximum voltages for use with a VV MOD:

P = E * E / R
    E = sqrt(P * R)

at 10 watts:
    E = sqrt(10 * 1.8)
    E = 4.24 volts

at 13 watts:
    E = sqrt(13 * 1.8)
    E = 4.84 volts

So our voltage range for the Triton coil is roughly 4.2 - 4.8. Using a VV MOD with 0.1V steps, there are 7 possible settings within its range.

It's the number of settings within the coil's range that determine how precise you can be. Using VV with 0.1V steps there are only 7 steps in the range, using VW with 0.1W steps you have 31 choices.

Never met someone who said "I'm vaping at 13,3 Watts (for example)" ... so that much precision is totally unnecessary.
  • @Cegoca Meet me :) I'm vaping at 11.3W using the current coil in my Nautilus Mini and my Kamry 30 V2.

Note, I said my current coil and my Kamry 30 V2. There is a tolerance in manufacturing for both the coils and MODs. A different coil in the same tank using the same MOD may need a slightly different power setting to get the identical results. If I move my tank, with my current coil to another MOD, even the same model, I will probably have to adjust the power slightly to get the identical results.

The advantage of that precision is you can adjust your coil a little closer to your ideal. Some folks don't need it. Some folks need it to bring out the subtle hints of flavor in their liquids.
  • @Tina I did :)
    Great explanations from @midnightwolf and @Old_Salt
  • Well, for a Nautilus, maybe, but for 0.5 ohms coils in an Atlantis, a 1W difference doesn't even make a 0.1 volt difference (around 27 Watts).
    That is certainly why Aspire only made 1 W increments on its ESP 30W box.

Even with my Nautilus on the ESP or my older itaste 134, I use round figures and concentrate only on my vaping itself ;)
  • X2! I always have to read the text on the coil using a magnifying glass and some brands of coils don't even have that!

All the top manufactures mark there coils and if you buy a coil with no markings on it with ohms and wattage it is pretty much a clone atomizer.

• @Viruk ,attach a picture for your reference.
    I just liked your post.I click the "like",then there is a number come out,the number means how many "like" your post received.

QQ图片20150710084751.png
    858 x 318 - 29K
  • Tina said:

@Viruk ,attach a picture for your reference.
    I just liked your post.I click the "like",then there is a number come out,the number means how many "like" your post received.

Quote is shown on my browser (Google Chrome Version 43.0.2357.132 m), but the Like, Dislike, and Promote buttons are not shown. It may be a browser compatibility issue, or the viewer may need to achieve a certain status before being allowed to make these choices. Your webmaster may know.
  • @Old_Salt Thank you for your feedback,I will pass this problem to our administrator.
    Hope he can figure out the problem.

:)]
  • @Tina thanks for the information, as @Old_Salt mentions, not all of the buttons seem to be visible.

I'm using IE11 and the attached image shows what I see with your last post...
    forum post.PNG
    1200 x 342 - 27K
  • Same here with Firefox 39.0, no such buttons visible.
  • Dear All,
    I have passed this problem to our administrator,he is trying his best to figure this problem out now.
    :)]

If any new information,I will let you know.

© 2017 Powered by Aspire