Aspire Atlantis 2 - Burning rubber taste.

Hi there,

So I've had my Atlantis 2 for around a month now, and up until a few days ago its been great. However a few days ago I decided to do my usual atmisor change, cleaned the tank etc as usual, pre soaked my coil, topped up the tank, made some primer puffs and then left the tank to sit for over an hour. When I came to start vaping (0.3 Ohm coil) I began at around 60-65 Watts to ease the coil in, Instantly I could taste a really strange burning chemically rubber taste... I carried on to try and break the coil in, steadily increasing the wattage, still the taste was there, and was so horrible I could hardly taste my liquid. Thinking this could be a dodgy atomiser, I started from scratch as I usually would, tried a different atomiser, and different liquid. Same result, instant burning rubber taste, not burning cotton. Up to now I've gone through around 5 different atomisers, from 3 separate packs, tried 3 different liquids, all with the same results. I have no idea why this has suddenly started happening, I've checked everything I can think of, I've soaked the tank over night and followed the instructions on the forums for similar 'taste' issues, but no joy. I've since taken the 5 atomisers to bits to inspect the cotton, no real signs of burning cotton, a little tainting on a few but nothing that would cause this kind of taste.

Set up:

Atlantis v2
Original 0.3Ohm coils
IPV 4 & IPV 3 set at around 70-75 watts

eliquids:

Cloud Company - Aspire ~ 90/10 VG/PG
Cloud Company - Sky ~ 90/10 VG/PG
Space Jam - Astro ~ 50/50 VG/PG

I'm beginning to thing there must be something wrong with the Atlantis itself now, but I can't really imagine what could have happened within the space of changing atomisers, I've taken the unit back to where I bought it and they told me to replace the atomiser and try again. Should I ask them to swap it for a new one since its only been around a month since I bought it?

Cheers
Comments
  • 20 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • I bought the Atlantis 2 for my 30w iStick and am having the same problem. I've taken the tank back to the store where it was purchased asking them to take a look. They're suggestion was consistent with you idea - a priming problem.

Hoping to see more info and a solution from Aspire - in the mean time, I'm back to the tried and true Nautilus and my 20w iStick or using my 30w with a 1.3. =(
  • IMNancyC said:

I bought the Atlantis 2 for my 30w iStick and am having the same problem. I've taken the tank back to the store where it was purchased asking them to take a look. They're suggestion was consistent with you idea - a priming problem.

Hoping to see more info and a solution from Aspire - in the mean time, I'm back to the tried and true Nautilus and my 20w iStick or using my 30w with a 1.3. =(

Yes hopefully something soon :) Just out of interest with the problem you are having, what Ohm coil were you using in your Atlantis, because an iStick 30w wont fire the 0.5 coil properly never mind the 0.3, as the 0.5 needs around 40-50 watts and the 0.3 around 70-80 watts - that's the main reason it wont be wicking properly :)
  • Since Aspire came out with the new cotton coils, you will always, even after priming the same as before, have a very bad taste for the first 15 puffs.
    So take those 15 puffs short, without inhaling of course, and after that, the taste will be as it should be.
  • Cegoca said:

Since Aspire came out with the new cotton coils, you will always, even after priming the same as before, have a very bad taste for the first 15 puffs.
    So take those 15 puffs short, without inhaling of course, and after that, the taste will be as it should be.

Hey thanks for the advice, but I've already been through 5-6ml and there's been absolutely no improvement in flavour at all
  • One thing that I have found, and has been mentioned before, is to make sure that when I put in a new coil, I do it right before going to bed. Put the new coil in, fill the tank, and let it sit upright over night.

I still sometimes get the first few puffs to have an off flavor, but it goes away more quickly when I let it sit overnight.

I'm fortunate to have enough devices lying around that it isn't a big deal that I can let a coil sit wicking the juice overnight. I just use one of my other devices during that time.
  • Teefies said:

Cegoca said:

Since Aspire came out with the new cotton coils, you will always, even after priming the same as before, have a very bad taste for the first 15 puffs.

Hey thanks for the advice, but I've already been through 5-6ml and there's been absolutely no improvement in flavour at all
    Do you still have the burned rubber taste after 5-6ml or you just complain about the flavour ?
    The Atlantis is not top with flavours anyway, it's for making clouds.
    For more taste, use a higher % of flavour if you are on DIY liquids, else I suggest you use the Nautilus instead.
  • I have been using the Aspire 2 for just over a month now, and I have been experiencing the same burnt rubber/burnt plastic taste. it is most definitely NOT the off taste that comes regularly with changing coils. I am familiar with that taste and it doesn't start to taste like burnt rubber until 2-3 days after changing the coil. I believe that I have gotten a bad batch of coils as the coil that came installed lasted for 3 weeks. The first 3 of the coils I have used from this box haven't lasted more than 3 days before producing a very clear and absolutely disturbing burnt rubber flavor.

my setup is:

Aspire Atlantis 2
    genuine .3 ohm coils (security code 60841454591084)
    Aspire CF MOD with Efest IMR 18650 3.7V 2800mAh
    Ejuice is 70/30 vg/pg not too sweet and 3mg nicotine

I would like very much for someone from Aspire to address this directly as I fear health concerns associated with vaping something that tastes like burnt rubber.
  • Your security code does not exist, how did you check they were genuine ?
    Why do you use a 0.3 Ohm coil that needs 70-80 Watts to function, with a CF Mod that only gives 25 W ?

Capture wrong security code.JPG
    578 x 404 - 51K
  • my bad, the code got cut off. The full code is 60841454591084162795 i checked it.

I was using that setup because it was sold to me as a "premium starter kit" and i assumed that everything would meet the necessary specs. Once i found out the mod didn't provide the necessary watts, I began using the same setup on a Sigelei box mod set to 70W. I put in a fresh coil from the same pack (after soaking it in juice for 3 hours) and it worked fine....for 3 days...then I experienced the exact same burnt rubber taste.
  • Evening,

Just thought I'd leave an update on my person situation for anyone who may be experiencing the same issue. I returned to where I bought my Atlantis and explained the problem I'd been having, the chap in the shop checked everything out and we couldn't see any obvious reason why I maybe getting this weird taste. He then precoded to remove the rubber gasket on the unit's base (the large one the glass sits on) and re set it again. First puff after that, back to normal, no flavour issues at all, all is good again in the world.

Small as it may have been, removing and re setting that seal did the job, maybe the seal had become slightly misaligned when I was cleaning/drying after the coil change and was touching something that go too hot.
  • You mean it was the large white rubber seal gasket that was not correctly placed that gave you that burnt taste ?
    Any mark on that gasket (melted, burned, ...) ?
  • edited November 2015 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I have the Exact Problem it taste good for a minute after i changed the coil but after a couple of refills which intails opening it up the taste is back new coil still there and you know what my seal is discolored like a small burn ,Obvious problem thank goodness I have my trusty Herakles Backup set up but it did have great taste when that burnt urethane taste was gone I have not messed with it yet will update.
  • Cegoca said:

You mean it was the large white rubber seal gasket that was not correctly placed that gave you that burnt taste ?
    Any mark on that gasket (melted, burned, ...) ?

Yeah, I would be REALLY concerned if the actual gaskets were melting or burning. That would probably indicate some kind of short. Usually that taste is either because of burned cotton or too much PG. The 90/10 VG/PG mix should be just fine, but the 50/50 is really not for subohm vaping and will taste like a baggy on fire.
  • We want pictures !
  • ive had my tank for a month or so and everything was fine with the first 3 coils i used but then i started running into problems... went through a whole pack of regular atlantis 2 coils and ni200 coils while using the tank on my segelei 150w tc mod and every last one of them were gross no matter what i did to prime them... went to my local vape shop to talk to one of the guys there he gave me an original atlantis coil to try and it was perfectly fine.... i think somethings up with the newer coils honestly i feel like somethings happening thats not supposed to with them for some people.... try using the atlantis 1 coils see if that fixes your problems.

im kinda done with aspire though like 40 bucks worth of coils and all of them trash.... im over it... gonna get a smok tfv4 kit and start building my own coils.
  • @ceramicboi did you check the code to make sure you had authentic coils? There are a ton of clones out there unfortunately, and they are terrible...
  • I've had the exact same problem. Had no problem with the coil that came with the tank. Loved the tank until I had to replace the coil. It came time to replace it so I bought authentic Atlantis .3 coils from two different local shops. (Yes I checked the security code). Went thru the first pack in a matter of a couple days because I kept getting a very very strong burnt rubber/chemical taste on each coil right from the get go. Went thru an entire tank, still bad. And when I say bad, I mean bad. Gag inducing! Went back to the shop to tell them my issue and first they looked at me like I was crazy and then basically told me I was stupid because I didn't know how to prime a coil. I've been vaping for over three years now. Went to another shop to buy another pack and it was the same thing. If I can stomach my way thru it, it gets better (actually goes away) after about 8-10ml. But the fact remains that something is very wrong with these coils and Aspire obviously doesn't care enough to give a response. I have decided that the Atlantis 2 and it's gag inducing coils are going to sit in the dark in the very back of my vape drawer.
  • edited June 2016 Vote Up0Vote Down
    I bought my Atlantis 2 about a month ago. Same problem. I guess I'll never buy any of this company's products ever again. Apparently, they intend to do nothing about it.

Words cannot describe how disgusting the taste is. I went out to have a few puffs before a meeting. I immediately knew something was wrong, turned it off and went back inside. The taste lingered in my mouth for a good hour, during which time it nearly caused me to throw up on my boss. Thanks.
  • I can attest to what Teefies said. I took off that rubber seal and cleaned it off real good. For good measure i did the same with the rubber seal that the top of the tank comes in contact with and WOW. The taste is phenominal. I was just about to bring it back to the store to see if the guy could fix it. Glad i came across this thread even though i'm a bit late
  • Good to hear the "burned rubber taste" problem is solved :)>-
© 2015 Powered by Aspire