Temperature control wire material: Ni200 nickel vs Titanium wire--safe material?

At present,the wire material used on the temperature control coils most are Ni200 nickel,some use the Titanium wire.
I saw some talks about the disadvantage and worries about  Ni200 nickel material:
The Ni200 nickel can not handle the high current,it requires a little bit of "break-in" otherwise it tastes a little off at first.
Some people worry about the presence of nickel oxides formed through thermolysis may be inhaled and  cause lung lesions.(Ni200 heated to 400 degrees Celsius which would be 720 something Fahrenheit in the presence of oxygen creates nickel oxide.)
There also some talks about the advantage and worries about Titanium wire:
Better flavor experience,It doesn't give  metallic taste at all like ni200 does
It holds little residues,not like other wires do.
Large vapor production,because of greater surface coverage. (titanium has the half of nichrome resistance)
Even though, there are so many advantages of the titanium wire,but there are still some worries about the titanium dioxide.

Now,vapers are confused:what is a safe temperature control wire material i can use?
We also on the road to explore a safe temperature control wire material.

If you have any idea or suggestion,please leave your idea and suggestion on the comment here

Comments
  • 9 Comments sorted by Votes Date Added
  • Just my two cents: I don't really see any advantage to using Nickel. There are still some concerns about safety that have not been disproven to my satisfaction, and the advantages seem minimal. On the other hand, Titanium seems to have real advantages with taste and the whole vaping experience. The danger with Titanium Dioxide only seems to come when the coil is overheated to glowing brightly, and is readily visible on the coil.

I would love to see Aspire release stock Titanium coils, and a battery that is engineered for Temp Control with Titanium coils. I would be first in line to buy these products. However, Ti coils should never be used in Wattage mode, as they can create the Titanium Dioxide, and can also combust. The Pegasus doesn't seem to be equipped to handle TC for Ti coils, even though it is mentioned in the product description. On a side note, I would like to see the research put into Ti coils for the Pegasus.

So, my vote is for Titanium all the way, but it must be done in a safe way and with clear warnings not to vape in VV or VW settings.
    Viruk
  • @Viruk This was just one of many articles, and I find conflicting information about Ni200. Most say it is safe, but there is enough doubt in my mind to stick with kanthal for now.

The Ti coils will not glow easily if they are wicked and prepped with juice, but yes I agree about the Pegasus auto-temp mode. I would be much happier with a manual TC setting, and said as much in my Pegasus review. On the other hand, I am also happy that Aspire is trying to innovate and put some thought into new ideas! They just have to be ready to accept when their new ideas don't work...
    Viruk
  • @watkijw in terms of advantage, I think the reduction (or even elimination?) of dry hits and being able to take nice long hits is quite a good one. There are some potential health concerns and I'm interested in hearing about the work that @

I'm sure there are pros and cons of all sorts of materials, from the coil itself, to the wicking material and anything else that is heated and/or near the vapour we inhale - but finding good quality evidence about any sort of testing seems quite difficult.

I'm interested in what research has been done, the methodology, any assumptions made, what the findings were and who has verified it?
    Maybe this is too much of a wish - but if the industry as a whole could engage experts and academia to get some good empirical evidence, we could all have our concerns addressed and be more confident in our product choices.
  • Also @watkijw - what makes you more confident in titanium than nickel?

I have no idea how to compare the two materials and I'm curious what influenced your preference?
  • hhttp://blog.craftvapery.com/joshs-definitive-guide-to-temperature-control-with-titanium-wire/hhttp://blog.craftvapery.com/joshs-definitive-guide-to-temperature-control-with-titanium-wire/Hi @Viruk really the big thing for me is that some people with a Nickel allergy have reported sensitivity while vaping. Others have not, so I am not convinced, but cautious enough about Nickel poisoning to be wary. I am also still searching for definitive conclusions by a reputable researcher.

Titanium seems to be more inert, and thus less of a danger to me when heated to reasonable temperatures. Here is one article that helped make me feel better about it, even though it is mostly about making wraps:

http://blog.craftvapery.com/joshs-definitive-guide-to-temperature-control-with-titanium-wire/
  • Bah, sorry about the redundant links up there. I am running an old version of ie, and had trouble posting them... :/
  • @watkijw thanks for the link - going to have a read of it now :)
  • Interesting article. Unfortunately he doesn't cite any reference/evidence at all for the assertions made against Ni200 (I'm not disputing his statements - I don't have enough facts for that), but I'd like to see what he's basing those assertions on.

Also, the comment about not firing titanium in wattage mode to the point it glows hot gives me even more concern over the way temp mode is selected on the Pegasus...
  • He's citing common knowledge. I learned about the properties of these metals my senior year in high school in my Chemistry class. NI200 is capable of being a very serious carcinogen. If you heat it past a certain point, it will release a gas that can cause cancer. Titanium dioxide is also a concern, but only when pulsing it. If you get a pop, crackle, or anything of the like, the shielding on the outside of the wire has been diminished and it is no longer safe to vape for the same reason. Everything on this Earth had a toxicity. I urge the ecig companies to find safer alternatives, but if you're gonna TC vape right now, go with Titanium or Stainless Steel
© 2015 Powered by Aspire